We haven't had rain around here in I don't know how long. Everything is dry and dead. I hate when it looks like that. But, finally we got some rain today. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough for us to stay inside to play for a while. We went down to the basement and did a few fun things. Noah and Livie got out the Moon Sand, which is now spread all over the floor from accidental spillage. ;-) It's fun, but it's messy. Especially when a 2-yr old is playing with it. Noah rode his bike for a while after the moon sand and Madie played with her ponies before stopping to watch a little HGTV. She's really gotten interested in "If Walls Could Talk" and "Hidden Potential". She thinks they're so interesting. I don't blame her. I do too! When watching "If Walls Could Talk", she started asking me about the Civil War. She wanted to know what that was. I told her the North part of America and the South part of America where fighting each other back when Abraham Lincoln was president. They were fighting over slavery. She said, "What's slavery?". Hard to explain that to a 7 yr old. But, I told her that back then people with brown skin weren't allowed to do the same things as people with skin our color. They had to work for people with tan skin and wouldn't get any money for it. She said that she has a girl in her class that has dark brown skin and maybe she was a slave. I said, "no, she isn't, because Abraham Lincoln made sure that they were all free and could do the same thing as people with tan skin like us.". I said "We're all humans, all alike, and it doesn't matter if we have tan skin or brown skin or red skin or purple skin." To which Noah said, "I've seen someone with purple skin before. Really! In real life! I'm serious." Good old Noah puts everything in perspective, doesn't he? ;-)
Livie had her second speech therapy session today with Miss Margaret. I want so badly to take pictures during her sessions, because it's so fun to watch her. Today we again worked on her core muscles. I mis-stated why we work on those last time. I guess we work on them, because it strengthens her breathing, which strengthens her breath sounds and her tongue and her lips or something like that. I swear, it's all so confusing. But, anyway, to work on those muscles, she brought a big ball for Livie to lay on. She had to lay on her tummy and roll back and forth and try to reach puzzle pieces and put them in the right spots, while staying balanced on the ball. She did a few more ball exercises as well as practicing more with her words. She's still really quiet, but you can hear her try and say what she's asked to say, so that's really fun for me. She was saying the colors today and that's the first time I've heard her attempt those. And, she said "Come" clear as day. I was pretty excited about that!
Anyway, wanted to do a short update on my sweeties before we leave for the long weekend in IN. My sister's bridal shower is Saturday afternoon, so we're leaving after school tomorrow and driving back. I'm really excited about it! I've planned it all out and think it should be a lot of fun for her. And, our friend and neighbor growing up, Betty Smith, is celebrating her 90th birthday this weekend as well. So, Sunday, my parents, Em and Jeff, Pete, the kids, and I are all headed down to RC to surprise her. I haven't seen her since Noah was about 4months old. So, I'm really looking forward to that. :-) Then after Betty's party, we'll head to the Trolingers to finish out our weekend. So, I'll hopefully have lots to post about when we get back. Everyone have a terrific Labor Day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment