Monday, October 4, 2010

Pumpkin Decorating

Yesterday was a special event at church. The first Sunday of every month we combine our services to have one service at 10am. That moves Sunday School to 9am and we rarely have many kids show up at that time. Usually it's my kids and maybe 1 or 2 others. I've been trying to think of a way to make this a more successful time to really draw in the kids. Well, I decided to have a pumpkin decorating event and it was fantastic!



We had 23 kids come and decorate pumpkins. I provided everyone a small pumpkin with lots of decorating ideas from leaves to beads to glitter.

We had lots of adults there to help, which was nice. Most of the parents or grandparents stayed to be with their kids, so I was able to go around and check on how their pumpkins were coming along and take pictures. :-)








At the end, they got a tag where they wrote their name on it and it had a little saying that said..
Being a Christian is like being a pumpkin.
First God picks you from the patch and
brings you in and washes all the dirt off you.
Then he goes in and scoops out all the bad
stuff inside. Next, he gives you a new smiling
face and he puts his light inside of you for
all the world to see.


When we were done with our pumpkins, we took them upstairs to the sanctuary and filled all the windows with them. There are 6 windows just like this one and each one had 4 pumpkins in it with their little name tags attached. They will be there until the end of October. They did such a great job and everyone said it was lots of fun! Now, I'm trying to plan for a Christmas event, because Nov we'll be doing Samaritan's Purse boxes.

No comments: