Friday, May 29, 2015

Madie Graduated!

So, my Madie Moo just graduated 8th grade last night!  Where has the time gone?  Seriously?  This 8th grade graduation thing is new to me.  Everyone out here does it and, honestly, it's kind of cool.  I mean, this class isn't going to be together like this in high school.  Our school consolidates with 6 other schools to join one big school.  Her class is splitting up to either go to that high school or going off to other area high schools.  It's not like when I was a kid when you had one elementary school and one high school.  There are choices here, so it's nice to see them celebrate the class before they go their separate ways for their last 4 years.




Now, being this is my first experience with 8th grade graduation, I wasn't really sure of the "protocols".  But, we seemed to manage just fine. :-)  We got Madie a pretty dress, new shoes, etc... and got her hair done for this special day.  She even wore make-up and got her eyebrows waxed!  WHOA!  By the time we left the house, she was looking like the 14 yr old that she is.  She looked beautiful!  But, of course, she had to throw in a little nerd too while she was at it. ;-)




We were all excited to go to her ceremony, but I still couldn't get a smile out of that boy of mine.  Sigh.  Maybe it'll come back by the time he graduates....high school!




Noah was playing in the band, so her cheering section was just me, Pete, and Livie.  So, we took a "We're so excited for her" selfie. :-)




There's my Madie Moo!




Before she actually received her diploma, they handed out special awards and scholarships.  Madie got THREE of them!  I thought that was awesome!  She got a certificate for "Outstanding Academic Excellence".  Woo-Hoo!  She got a plaque for the Robert Hart Fine Arts Award.  YAY!  I actually talked to her band instructor afterwards and he said, "So, what about that award, huh?".  I told her I thought that was awesome.  He told me it was a slam dunk.  He and the Choir Teacher both thought of her immediately and knew it was hers.  I totally gave him a high-five.  I mean, how cool was that for him to say?  Super-proud moment!  The last award was a plaque and a $100 scholarship for the Dale Ballerini Award.  They had 5 scholarships to give out to kids that followed the traits of the teachers that they represented.  Hers was something to do with leadership (surprised me!), science stuff, and one other thing, but I can't remember what that was.  I was so excited for her.  And, CRAZY proud of her too!




Several of her friends also won awards that night and it was great to see them be recognized as well.  They're good kids.





Here she is lining up to get her diploma.  There was 48 kids in her class.  Next year?  It'll be close to 500.  Can you believe that?!!




Getting her diploma.  So cool!




And, here is the recessional.  She had the best time!




Here's Noah with his trumpet.  He's really improving with his band stuff.  It's not something he wants to continue to do, but I love that he's doing it for the 4 years he's able to.




After the ceremony, the kids line up outside and wait for their families.  Here she is with her best friend, Katie (who also won an award!), showing off her plaques. :-)




We look lots of pictures with friends. :-)  Though, most are on her phone.



Our Graduate!!!




Madie with her besties, Katie and Ashleigh.




Noah getting photobombed by several of his buddies. :-)




Madie's friend Alondra still has a few years before she graduates, but her older brother graduated last year, so she knows what this is like and she was very excited for Madie. :-)




Another one of Madie's friends.  Love that she was able to go to a small school and have the same friends since kindergarten.  Hoping next year she finds more great friends.





Livie with a couple of her friends whose brothers graduated with Madie.  I've known those boys for 9 years now.  So fun to see them graduate too!




Yay, Madie!




 Afterwards, they held a dance.  I was one of the chaperons.  Talk about a flashback moment.  Seeing the kids jumping around and dancing and having fun totally reminded me of how much fun I had during those moments as a kid.  It was great to see all of them get to celebrate like that and have a good time together.




 Congrats to the Class of 2015!  Now, off to high school and be ready to be the class of 2019!!


No comments: