
I chose to post a picture of the 9-11 memorial as opposed to pictures of the tragedy 10 yrs ago, because we all know what that devastation looked like. I don't think I need to see more images of that today. I wanted to see where we've come since then. To see what beauty is there now. Two or three years ago I posted a blog entry about where I was and what I was doing on September 11th. There my kids can read my story. But, today, after lots of reflecting, I thought I'd post about what this day means to me now.
It's honestly hard to believe it's been a decade since that happened. The emotions that come from remembering are still very fresh and very raw. I've spent the week reflecting on the events of that day and the days that followed. I've watched several shows on that day. Watched the George W interview about 9-11 and the thing that really stuck out to me is how unified we were in the days and weeks that followed. You couldn't find a flag in a store anywhere, because they had been sold out. Everyone wanted to show their American pride. There was a solidarity that I've never felt before. People were a little nicer to each other. They cared about their fellow man more. They felt 9-11 in their souls.
I shared some footage today with Madie and Noah, because I felt they were old enough to begin the process of understanding. To them, the explosions caused by the planes were things from movies. There is no real tangible way for them to begin to grasp the enormity of what happened to our country that day or why it affected us so deeply. But, I hope as the years continue on, as they get older, that the seed planted today in them about what happened that day will grow and they will recognize the sacrifice and the honor of the people that died and served there.
In the decade since 9-11, my family has grown. Madie was just a few months old at the time and now she's a thriving 10 yr old. Noah and Livie were just a hope in my heart and now are funny, smart, happy 8 and 5 yr olds. Pete has been to China and I started a new job after 10 yrs as a mommy. We've faced diabetes and an ill parent. Life has gone on. When I think of 9-11, it will always be mixed in with the emotions of grief, but I also will remember our pride and our strength. The bravery and sacrifice of the people on 9-11 and the years following through the wars in Iraq and Afganistan, we know as Americans that we stand together as a nation in times of heartache and tragedy. I will forever remember this day as a day that our country became a country of one. We were ONE America. And, for that, the terrorists gave us more than they planned or wanted. I honor those who died that day as the heroes they are. I remember September 11th.
1 comment:
Love this, Lori.
Post a Comment