I thought it would be important to make note of the weather this winter, so when we look back, we'll remember how totally awful and crappy it's been! This has been the snowiest, yuckiest, nastiest, COLDEST winter I can remember having since we moved to IL back in 2000. We've had 5 snow days this year. Four of them because of the bitter, bitter cold we had - aka -40 to -50 wind chills. Like I said, AWFUL!
We've also had tons of snow. About 3 years ago we had one big "Blizzaster" where we had thunder snow and wind and we got like 12" of snow in one big storm. Our neighbors, who have lived here for their entire lives, told us that was the kind of snow that comes once every 20 years. Well...... it wasn't THAT long! We've had snow falling all the time. The wind has been out of control. It's not been fun. BUT - the weather forecast shows the amazing, beautiful, much-needed temps hitting 50 degrees by week's end. So, I thought I'd better take a few pictures, so in the years to come, when I find myself complaining about our "awful winter", I can look back and say, "Well, it's not as bad as 2014 was!".
Pete placed this measuring stick - along with Noah's wind gauge from Christmas - in the front yard as the snow began to really pile up. It's at 12" right there and that isn't even at the deepest parts.
You can see the piles that are around our driveway. Piles and piles and piles and piles of snow. I'm actually curious to see what the final snowfall amount is for this winter. I've tried looking it up, but haven't found anything that says what it's been. I have heard things like "It hasn't been this cold in 100 years" and that we've had more snow this year than we have in the previous 30 years, stuff like that. But, I don't have any actual numbers. But, we have quite a build-up of snow and it's supposed to snow again tomorrow.
This is a closer look at the piles around our driveway. It comes up to my chest. The kids haven't even been able to enjoy it, because the temps have been so terribly cold. They can't play outside when it's -6 as a high! So, this is a record of the winter of 2014. Not fun. Pretty at times, but so cold that it's been miserable. I know I speak for this family, and probably every family in IL and IN combined, when I say "WE ARE READY FOR SPRING!". :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment