Monday, February 3, 2014

Superbowl Sunday!

Yesterday was Superbowl Sunday and, even though the game sucked, we had a great time with our friends.  We had invited our friends Jayson and Laura over, as well as their kids.  Then Pete invited a couple guys from work - David, whose wife has been out of town for a while and was home alone, and Dane, who is staying at a hotel while he works at the plant for a few weeks.  He's from the WV site.  So, it was a smaller crowd than what we're used to, but it was a great time.  Pete, my introvert husband, doesn't always like when I invited 20 people to the house, so this was just perfect for him. :-)




We ordered pizza and I made lots of food for the occasion.  I swear, one of my favorite parts about hosting is making fun foods and the Superbowl definitely lends itself to some great food!  The hit of the night was the Buffalo Chicken Dip.  It's spicy and yummy and a recipe we got from our friends, the Havengas, when they came to our last Superbowl party 3-4 yrs ago.




Now that Pete has his very own "Man Cave", he was excited to share it with actual MEN!  And, for a while that worked out nicely.... UNTIL




the kids started their epic ping-pong tournament.  They all dressed up in costumes and paired off and started a really hilarious game of ping-pong.





On one side was Emma the banana and Madie the Vampiress.





Then Tessa the Sombrero lover and Noah the ?????  I don't even know what to call a kid dressed in a ballgown with a Rolie Polie Olie head, clutching a Hello Kitty doll.  But I give him points for being unique!




And, of course, we can't forget Livie Batgirl with her pom-poms of different colors to cheer them on!



The ping-pong game got them really wound up, so the noise level got a little loud.  Pete and the guys decided to head on upstairs and finish the game up there, away from the crazy, noisy children.





Laura and I and our girls (sans Livie) watched the half time show together.  The girls loved Bruno Mars (heck, who didn't), but once the Red Hot Chili Peppers came on, they were in total mock-out mode.  "Who are these OLD guys?!" they said.  "Why are their shirts off?"  "Ewww... old guys should NOT have their shirts off!"  (excessive laughter) "Why are they moving their heads back and forth like this?!" (start mimicing the band)  "Hahahaha!  That's stupid!".  Now, throughout the mocking, Laura and I tried explaining the the RHCP were popular when we were in high school and college and that HEADBANGING, yes that's what it's called, is awesome and everyone used to do it.  Quite frankly, I didn't realize that was an 80s-90s thing.  I figured the kids still did it.  I was very wrong and the girls just laughed hard.  Apparently I am now old.  Guess I should've been clued into that when Madie told me she loved the song Tonight, Tonight and I thought she was talking about the song from West Side Story, but I digress.  It was a really fun night and I'm so glad that, despite the disappointing game, we all had a great time together!

No comments: