I remember those first classes, learning how to use the pump. I was scared, overwhelmed, uncertain. This was new technology that took a lot of brain power and I, at the time, seemed to have lost all of mine! Thankfully, he picked it right up and still, to this day, knows more about the workings of his pump than I do. Guess that's ok. He's the one that needs to know the most.
He was so excited when he got it! He has a love/hate relationship with it, because he doesn't like the site changes. They've been known to hurt, so he gets nervous when he has to get them, but for the most part, he's pretty cool with it and his numbers have been, for the most part, in really great shape.
I bring this all up again, because we're just 3 weeks away from our annual JDRF Walk. The reason JDRF is so important is that it does important research in the fight to cure Diabetes. But, even in their fight for a cure, they also are able to find new ways to manage Type 1. And, Noah's pump is proof of that. Every step they make is one step closer to making life easier for everyone affected by this disease.
I don't know if Noah would want me to share this, but I will. There was a night recently that he was showing me his finger. It was bruised and hard, filled with fingerpricks from all of his testing. I found him crying quietly in his bed that night and he said that sometimes he just get tired of having diabetes. This is a kid that just rolls with the punches and has handled his disease in an amazingly brave way. But, even in his strength, he has moments where the reality of living with this, and it's affects FOREVER, gets to him. He literally can't go one meal, let alone one day, without having to think about his disease. When he looked at his finger in its bruised, hardened way, it was a reminder of those things that he goes through. The pain, the highs and lows, the roughed-up fingers.... it's not something that will go away. And, those aren't even the worst of the potential problems. Most kids dream of what they can be when they grow up. Noah's said, since his diagnosis, "I want to be an astronaut, but I guess I can't be until they find a cure."
So, we walk again, to raise money, so that something new will be invented to help him. That maybe the dollars collected one year will lead to advancements that will nearly eradicate this disease from the world and those dreams that Noah has will be within his reach. Won't you join me?
Noah's Donation Page
No comments:
Post a Comment