Monday, July 18, 2011

Room Redo

There has been a festering sore in my life I'd like to call "my bedroom furniture". I must begin by first saying I am SO thankful that we even have the gift of this bedroom furniture. If Pete's parents hadn't generously given us his bedroom furniture when we got married, we'd have clothes in bins right now and a tv tray for our television. That being said, it's a little outdated. I'm talking 1982 outdated. The reason I know the date of these beauties is because I nearly jumped off the couch when we were watching E.T. recently and saw that Elliot has the same furniture we do!! If that's not telling me it's time for an update, then I don't what is.



This is of which I speak... The pulls are really what sets it apart from most. Those things have been staring me in the face for 12 yrs and I finally got around to doing something about it!

Over the past couple of weekends, I've spent hours painting every piece of bedroom furniture we have, as well as trying to rid our home of the hideous pulls that have haunted me.










After couple coats of onyx black paint and some new handles we have entered a brand new century! Welcome to 2011, my furniture friends!





As you can see, the furniture has been reborn and looks SO fantastic now! I couldn't be happier!!No longer do I see gargantuan drawer pulls of brass laughing at me with their ugliness. No. Now I see pewter pulls, streamlined and full of glee. It's a beautiful thing!






With a few finishing touches, we will have a complete room. Just need a new roman shade behind those curtains, a fun crafty project I found - courtesy of Jill's sis, Amy - and a black throw blanket (that is currently in the washer in an attempt to remove enough dog hair to actually make it look black again). Oh, and if I get my wish? A new lighting fixture as well. Anyway, twelve years of suffering are gone and our furniture has found new life again! Now, when I watch a movie from the 80s, I won't be surprised by any similarities. ;-)



3 comments:

Suzy said...

You saw your furniture in ET!!! That's hilarious! And awesome. :) Love the way you updated it ... I admire people who can envision what a piece will look like once it's overhauled. Not sure I could have gotten past the brass pulls laughing at me with their ugliness. ;)

Sue said...

Thank goodness those pulls are gone. I never liked them even when they were new. Love the black, but you knew that, after seeing what it did to the dining room from 1964. Love Mom T.

Lori said...

Suzy - I find that things around here laugh at me a lot.

Mom T - I know you also appreciate the black! Though, the Tater fur that's covering it isn't so nice. I need to start dusting and vacuuming daily to keep up with it!