My friend Donna, who's been to Maine, told me that the beaches there are very different than they are at the Jersey shore. She told us about the rocky beaches and we were not disappointed! This was our first glimpse of the Maine coastline. I fell in love instantly!

It was very cold that day for the beach - in the low 60s - but that didn't stop some of them from going in the water. I mean, how you can you resist going in that beautiful blue water?!

Noah was meant to live at the ocean. That boy loves the water, no matter what temperature it is. He had a ball, though was shivering cold once he came out.
Those are three very happy Trolinger kids right there!!
The greatest thing about these rocks was what we found underneath and around them. Cara told us we would find some treasures and we did. In fact, Livie (my critter lover) didn't put one foot in the ocean, spending instead all of her time exploring the rocks.
As soon as she found her first snail - before we even put down our beach blanket - she was in heaven! She didn't stop exploring the rest of our time there!
Isaiah and Mason spent most of their time with Livie exploring.
We moms stood around and took pictures. Cara's due like next week, so she's super-pregnant as you can see! Just wish I had looked that good when I was that pregnant! She carries it well. :-)
We found lots and lots of crabs too! This one was the first one we found. He was dead. But, we found lots of them that were hiding under rocks very much alive. Livie was heartbroken when we had to leave and put them all back in the water. She wanted to keep them all.
Madie played in the ocean for a little while, but she was too cold. She decided to join us and found the very first starfish of the group! The one thing we were CONVINCED we were going to find in all these rocks was sea glass and sadly, we looked so hard and found not a single piece. As much fun as we had, that was our one disappointment. The tide wasn't in yet, so Cara said a lot probably hadn't been washed up yet. In fact, there was a big section of rocks that we found most of our critters in that after lunch was completely submerged. The tide came in quickly and we ended up leaving mid-afternoon, because of it. I wondered if we had been able to go back after the tide went back again if we had found some. Maybe next time!
This was the last picture I took with our camera. Shortly after this shot was taken, my camera fell in the little pools by these rocks and was totally destroyed. Thank the Lord that my memory card wasn't and I was able to save all my pictures! I told Micah if they had been, we would've redone every single thing we did on this vacation, so I could get more pics! Thank goodness it didn't come to that.

The rest of these pictures Cara posted, so I could copy here. I thought this was a great one of the little explorers!

Noah and Caleb found every little pool of water on the beach and soaked in it. It's the only thing that kept them warm after being in the ocean. I eventually had to make Noah take off his shirt and put on a dry sweatshirt to keep him from being miserably cold!

Isn't this a great shot of Cara and Mason (and a preview of baby Emma)? :-)

While all of the kids, Pete, and I were searching through the section of rocks by the shoreline, Mason and Micah decided to start building sand tracks. I don't think they ever built a full sand castle. It was mostly just roads, I think. Mason was very excited about them!

You can kind of see how the water was getting closer, so we took Cara's camera and took a couple family shots. Don't they have a great-looking family?! I was so jealous of Cara's big hat too. I swear, if we lived in Maine (which is now my dream!), I would own a collection of awesome hats like that! At this point, it wouldn't keep my from freckling any more than I already have, but at least I'd look awesome!

And, here is a shot of my family. It was a spectacular day and I can't wait to get back there and spend more time. Granted, the salt water turns my hair into something you might see from '87, but I'm ok with that. Just glad we were able to spend time at a beautiful, peace beach with our families. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment