I'm the first to admit that I have fairly strict views about how quickly I should expose my kids to the modern-day advances in technology. And, by "technology" I'm basically referring to cell phones, facebook, etc... I grew up without all that and was fine, but I've come to realize (with the help and insistance of my bestie, Michelle) that today's world is different than the world we grew up in as kids. My biggest concern with cell phones was the whole issue of texting. I love texting as much as the next person, but when I walk into a room of Jr. High girls and no one is talking, because they are all texting, it makes me sad. My favorite memories as a kid are of sitting around after practice and chatting and laughing with my friends. Didn't want to see my kids sucked into the whole texting thing before they were ready, because I wanted them to form real bonds of friendship and, honestly, that view hasn't changed a whole lot, but I recognize now that the way kids form bonds now is different than it was when I was a kid and won't be changing back anytime in the future. So, I've begun to realize that a cell phone was something that wasn't just a luxury, it was a necessity.
*Cue* a VERY excited 11 1/2 yr old girl! After sending my cell phone with Madie on a few occasions, most recently on her first away game for cheerleading, I realized that if I wanted to keep my phone with me, she needed one of her own. So, I talked to Pete and we realized that it was time to add her to our plan. She didn't get anything fancy. No IPhone 5 here or anything, but we got her a cute little phone, that allows texting, and got her a little green phone purse to carry it in. She was thrilled beyond words and just couldn't stop hugging us or telling us she loves us. Guess we know what makes tweens love you more, huh?! ;-) She sat with her dad and got her phone numbers saved and changed her ringtone. She even sent her first text message to Noah that said, "I love you". :-)
I realize now that with growing up comes responsibility... and electronics! And, Madie is definitely growing up. She may be little, but she's all tween and we know that she's a responsible young lady that deserves to show us that she can start handling some of these new things in her life. So, if you find a strange number pop up on your phone, it might be from her. My sweet little girl is growing up!
No comments:
Post a Comment