I mentioned back in September how our church recently started a brand new Jr. High Youth Group called LOL4JC. It stands for "Live Our Lives 4 Jesus Christ". I was able to go the opening kick-off back in September and had a fabulous time with everyone! Tonight I got to help again when they decided to paint the room and make it their very own space. :-)
The room they are/have been using was in a lot of ways just a storage room. There were a couple small couches and chairs in there, but there were also cabinets and junk and a piano. Just lots of stupid things that were stuck in there when there wasn't another place for them. It wasn't as bad as it HAD been, because Pete and I had cleaned the room out .... twice.... on two separate occasions, when things became overrun again. Well, on Tuesday night, we moved all the furniture and junk out and made it open and ready to paint. I took this picture of the youth leaders before the paint went up. You'll see the "fantastic" aka hideous mural on the one wall. That was put up in the early '80s by the kids' sunday school class. Hilarious! I had to take a picture for us to always remember the awesomeness of this mural.
Friday night, Melissa (youth leader) and her husband came in and took down the mural and painted in all the corners and stuff to get it ready to paint tonight. They were there until nearly 4am getting it all ready!!!! You can see Noah was pretty excited to see the changes!
Tonight, Melissa put the kids in charge of everything. They put down the drop cloths and she helped them get the paint out.
They went to town! Youth group lasts an hour and 15 min and they got the entire thing done in that amount of time. Couldn't believe it!! We had 8 kids there tonight and 5 adults. Oh how I wish all rooms got painted that quickly! :-)
The girls were the roller queens of the night! They kicked butt at the rolling!
And they had tons of fun doing it too! Noah worked on painting for a while, then he decided he wanted to help with clean-up. He spent lots of time getting brushes and rollers washed. I was really proud of both of my kids!
While the kids worked with Melissa and Steve on painting the room and radiator, James and I worked on painting the door white. It was some weird creamy yellow. Not. Cute.
This was our crew!! They did a GREAT job and I told Melissa that she should put them to work in other areas of the church that need revamping. They were work horses!
We moved some of the furniture back into the room, but Melissa will work on getting it set up, either on her own or with the kids at the next meeting. I think it's going to be really awesome!! So proud of this group of kids!

No comments:
Post a Comment