Monday, April 4, 2011

Easter Project

The first Sunday of every month we have a special project in Sunday School (aka ZONE). This month was easy, because I knew it could be centered around Easter, but it wasn't until I got my latest edition of Family Fun magazine (thanks to Aunt Phyl who got the subscription for me!), that I knew what that project was going to be. On the cover of the magazine was a little girl holding a nest filled with colored eggs. The nest was made out of lunch sacks that had been squished down and sticks that were glued to the top of it. Livie and I set about making them! All of the kids collected sticks from our yard and our neighbor's yard to use for the tops. They look so cute, don't they?!


So, yesterday morning we had a big crowd show up to make these! I think we had 19-20 kids in all. Wish we had that number every week! I made all the nests beforehand, so they could concentrate on making the eggs. First though, we began with the Easter Story. I have a plastic egg set that tells the story all the way through from Jesus' glorious entrance into the city until His resurrection. We did the story first with the eggs, then had them go decorate eggs to remind them of the story they just heard. Instead of using traditional egg colorings though, we used paper mache - another bonus to the magazine this month! I had little squares of tissue paper all ready for them and 6 dozen hard-boiled eggs. They took their paintbrushes and paper mache and started decorating.






Noah didn't quite get the concept of painting one piece at a time, instead trying to just cover the whole thing at once. We got the hang of it more by the second egg. ;-)





Livie and Madie did a great job taking their time and working on each egg one piece at a time.





These were the finished products. Aren't they cute?! Yet another fun project that reminds us of not only Easter, but also of the great sacrifice of Jesus on the cross and the promise of salvation. :-)

No comments: