Saturday, March 16, 2013

Solo and Ensemble

Today was the Solo and Ensemble Contest and this year it was at OUR school!  Gotta say, it was a whole lot of fun for me for lots of different reasons.  I'll get into why in a bit.



Madie's first performance was with her all girls' choir and they were set to perform before 9, so we had to be there early.  Plus, I was in charge of the door to the room that she (and a bunch of her friends) were performing in and I needed to be there by 8:30, so we got up early, got dressed up, and headed out the door.  She's so cute. :-)




Since I was busy making sure the door was closed during performances and stuff, I wasn't able to leave the room.  That means Madie got to enjoy, literally the whole day, with all of her friends, going from room to room to see her friends perform and then hanging out in the cafeteria.  I remember as a kid doing the Solo and Ensemble thing, and I remember how fun that was for me, because I got to hang out with my friends.  So, instead of having her go home between performances (the first one was at 8:52am and the second at 1:37pm), we let her stay so she could do that.  Looks like she had fun!





Her girls' group went right after her friend Michael's group, which also had several other friends of hers.  They all did a great job and all got a #1 rating!  Way to go!



The results were posted in the cafeteria, so you could see who performed in what rooms and what they did for their performance (vocal, choir, duets, instruments, etc..).  She's showing me her name and rating.





I only hung out with her and her friends during the lunch break, because I wanted to go back to the classroom and hang out and help my friend Patty, who spent most of the morning in the room I was monitoring, so we could chat and watch our kids.  She was covering the same room in the afternoon, so I went back to help her like she did for me.  It was a lot of fun!!  During lunch though I got a real glimpse into the new life of a tween.  They would sit there together and laugh and joke and text.  Constantly!  Hilarious!



I never got to hear her flute solo, so I was really looking forward to hearing it when she performed.  Oh my gosh, did she rock it!!!  I try not to brag too much,  but seriously, she did an amazing job.






The coolest part for me was seeing so many of her friends come to watch her perform.  That was really cool of them and they all told her how awesome she was.  She got another #1 rating and we were SO proud of her!  I didn't get a photo of Pete and Noah, but they were there too.  They came to watch both performances.  Livie ended up spending the rest of the afternoon with me to see Michael and some of the other kids perform, and she really enjoyed doing that too.  It was a really long day, but so, so much fun!

No comments: