Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring Break Construction

We went to IN earlier this week for Spring Break (I will post about that tomorrow).  We only stayed until Thursday, because we had a project we wanted to tackle.  And, by "we", I mean me and a begrudgingly agreeable Pete. ;-)




I am TERRIBLE about taking "Before" pictures, so I thought I'd use this one I took before we did our wood floors.  The set-up of everything hadn't changed until this week, so it basically was the same.  I had hooks to hold bags behind that wall with the chalkboard, but had no place for bookbags.  And, honestly, the bags behind that wall were often forgotten, because we'd open the garage door to leave to go somewhere and the bag we needed would be hidden behind that door!  So, we decided that we need a place to hang all our gear.  It's been a long time coming and I am THRILLED to say it's done and looks amazing!





Pete and Noah bought boards for us to use.  Really nice wood 1x4" that we were going to attach to the walls and add hooks to.  Pete, being the engineer that he is (as well as a perfectionist!), took his time measuring everything and thinking it out to the last degree.  It might take him a while to complete a project, but you know it's being done the right way the first time!




He patched the many, many holes in our walls and got all the boards up.




Then I joined him as we started painting.  We painted most of it last night after he installed the wood, but we had to do the second coat on the walls after church today.




Then it was time to install all the hooks.  We installed nearly 20 of them, and I guarantee we will use every. single. one.





Voila!!  The finished product.  A place for book bags, dance bags, diabetes bags, and more!  Hooray!





Look how awesome my front foyer looks now!  I can't even tell you how excited I am.  Now, when they walk in from the garage, they will have no excuse as to why their stuff isn't in it's place. :-)




Pete went the extra mile and even added this area for guests to hang their coats when they come.  I hope to buy something to add above this space, but for now, I'm over the moon!  Another project complete!  I usually am able to convince Pete to tackle one a year.  We'll see if I get any more out of him this year or if we'll stay on our current "spring break" schedule. ;-)

No comments: