Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Groundhog Lied

I've decided that the Groundhog is a filthy, filthy liar.  All this stuff about spring coming sooner?  Please.  I'm sure there was some special lighting rigged up to make his shadow appear just so he could reclaim a bit of his former glory in the years following "Groundhog's Day" fame.  Either way, I think he should lose his job.  Give it to a ground squirrel or maybe even a badger, but the groundhog has lost its charm.  We have literally spent the entire winter without so much as an inch of snow.  So, as we were getting ready to welcome this "early spring" it decides to dump snow on us - TWICE!




Can't be too upset in the long run, because it gave the kids yet another opportunity to do a little sledding in our backyard, which they absolutely LOVE!





It's not much of a hill, but they can go pretty far, so they just have the best time.





Livie was so excited about going sledding that she would go as fast up that hill as she could, which meant about 30-40 min into it, she was so exhausted, that I had to pull her in her sled, so we could work on our snowman.  More about that in a second.






Noah too absolutely loved the sledding, but ended nearly every ride down in a crash of his own making.  I guess he just loves laying in the snow!  He too got tired, so he went inside after about 30 min, so he could warm up.  That's when the girls and I decided to head up front with Tater and build our snowman.






Madie decided to take pictures and throw snowballs for Tater to eat - his totally favorite thing to do! - while Livie and I worked on making the base of the snowman.  After we got the main figure made, Livie had the oh-so brilliant idea of making it a Yeti.  We enlisted Noah's inside help to find all our tools, while the girls and I worked on creating arms and scary hands.




We were quite proud of our creation.  We Trolingers don't make cute snowmen with sweet little coal eyes and a corncob pipe.  We make fangs with sticks and claws!





And, I gotta say, the effort paid off!  We have one scary, amazing Snow Yeti!  Now that we've had our snow fun, I'm ready for it to all melt and for spring to finally arrive - you hear that Groundhog?!

No comments: