Sunday, March 23, 2014

Madie is 13!


My Madie Moo is a teenager!  She turned 13 yesterday and, so far, we've handled the first day and a half of teenager-hood without any disruption. :-)  To prepare for this special day, Madie and I decided to work together to make her cupcakes.





I had bought zebra and pink decorations, so I bought zebra cupcakes to go along with it.






We had to layer the chocolate and vanilla, so they would bake into zebra-stripes and it totally worked!





I frosted them and she decorated them with pink sixlets and chocolate curls. :-)  They were delicious!!!





I didn't do a ton of decorating, because she wasn't really having a party.  But, still wanted to have something on the table, as is our tradition.





She had dance on Saturday morning, so we didn't have a lot of time before she left to do any celebrating, but she definitely had enough time to open the one present we got her, that had been sitting on the buffet for a week staring at her. :-)






We got her an electric fingernail dryer.  She is currently in her bedroom with her friend Ella and Livie using it right now in their "nail salon". :-)  We also got her a North Face jacket a few weeks ago.  It was the only thing she actually asked for.  She said all of her friends have one and she really wanted one too.  So, we got that for her a little early, so she could wear it.  Sadly, the zipper broke, so we are waiting for its replacement to come.  But, she was really happy to have the nail dryer to open on her actual birthday.

For her birthday, she wanted to take some friends and go shopping together.  So, I picked her up early from dance, so we could leave and get the girls and head up to a big mall about an hour north of here.  I had never been there, so I was just as excited as they were!




When I asked the girls where they wanted to eat, thinking they'd pick something yummy like Olive Garden or Applebees, they picked the ever-popular McDonalds! :-)  Guess kids don't want "fancy food".  They want the yummiest fries around for their lunch.  To give them their independence, I sat at another table, so they could enjoy chatting together and being "grown up".






I had to take a photo of them as soon as we walked in.  They were ready for some shopping!  None of them had been to this mall before and no one but Madie had ever been in a place with escalators!  So, this trip was quite an experience for them all!




They went into the very first store they came across, but thankfully only one girl bought anything there.  I tried to explain to them that we had 3 floors to explore and they wanted to spread their money out.  I gave each of them $20 to spend - Madie had $50 total (some from us and some from her papa), plus a $25 Justice gift card from my besties.  The second store they entered is where most of them spent their money.  They had some cute stuff there.  Madie walked away with a vest, dress, and a shirt.  They all tried on the shirts they liked and were so cute complimenting each other on how nice it looked.  They were so cute and so sweet!





We went up and down the escalators several times, since it was the first time they (except Madie and I) had been on one.  We went on the elevator a couple times too, which they thought was fun.  When you're from a small town, it doesn't take much to excite a person. ;-)




They had this big double-decker carousel and all the girls, but one, went on that.  They thought that was a lot of fun too.  We got ice cream for a couple of the girls while we were down in this area.






Madie was the only one that had ever been in Build-a-Bear, so we stopped in there to check it out.  We went to Justice, where Madie bought a few things with her gift card and the other girls spent most of the rest of their money. We stopped in the Disney store, where the "Let it Go" song was playing, so they were standing around listening and singing to that.





Of course, we hit Claires and then the candy store. I told the girls they could eat get a bag, but little did I know how BIG their bags would be!  $50-plus dollars later, we walked out of the store with 5 very happy girls and one very empty wallet. ;-)





They really wanted to do the photo booth and I'm so glad they did.  It was so funny!  Madie's friend Sarah bought the photos, since I didn't have a $5 on me and then shared them with Madie for her birthday.  Very sweet!  Because there was a screen on the outside of the booth, I could see everything they were doing.  They tried to make duck faces, which sent them into hysterics.  It was so, so funny!!




Here is the roll of photos.  Isn't that adorable?!




After the photos, we decided to leave the mall (all of the girls were out of money anyway) and head to Old Navy.  They were carrying lots of packages and big bags of candy, so they were pretty excited!  They told me over and over again how much fun they were having, and Madie made sure to let me know she had a great birthday!  We went to Old Navy for a little while and that's where I got to shop.  Next time we'll probably go there first, because the girls were lamenting the fact that they had no money left when we went there.




We got home about 6pm and I was glad to be home.  Madie had a great birthday with her friends and I was so glad we could make it special for her, but I was definitely tired.  Here's what she bought when we were up there.  She bought this dress and this vest.  They are separate things, but I had her wear them together for this picture.  The dress is a really soft cotton material.  She loved it!




Madie's candy bag is on the left.  Then she got that Ocelot from Minecraft, the "M" brush, and face buffer from Justice.  She bought the heart key ring from Claires.  The little "Happy Birthday" t-shirt she bought at Build-a-Bear to go on her Ocelot.  The bouncy ball was at Old Navy.





This is the T-Shirt she bought at Rue 21.  She picked that out herself and I think it's really cute!  It's fun to see her finally fit into some Jr. Sizes.




After she showed off all of her stuff to Pete, Noah, and Livie, we lit the candles and sang "Happy Birthday" to her.



She blew really hard and blew them all out!  So glad we were able to celebrate her birthday in such a fun way!  She's our first to reach teenager-hood, so it was definitely something to be excited about.  So proud of the young lady she is becoming and excited to see what these teenage years bring. :-)

No comments: