Monday, March 17, 2014

Solo and Ensemble


On Saturday, Madie had her Solo and Ensemble Contest at a school in our area.  She had three performances that day, so we were there for most of the day.  She caught the bus by 8 am and had her first performance at 10.




Her first song was a quartet.  They did a wonderful job (you can see a snippet of their song below)!  They all have beautiful voices and sounded so pretty together.  They got a first place rating. :-)




We had an hour and a half between her first and second performances, so we decided to stick around and wait, instead of driving all the way home.  We hung out in the cafeteria and ate some yummy junk food while we waited.  This school is so tiny, just a little country school.  Several of Noah's buddies were there, because they were singing, so he sat and played on his ipod and talked with them while we waited.  He eventually wanted to leave and walk around with them, so we let him kind of have some freedom with that and he loved it!




Livie also had a great time hanging out with some friends.  She was unable to take a picture that wasn't totally silly that day.  She is my outgoing, social girl, so anytime she's able to be with people, she's excited and happy.




Here's Madie with some of her friends.  She tried to go see all of her friends' performances too, while she was there.  I loved seeing how many of these students went to see each other's performances.  They were so supportive of each other and gave each other pats on the back and would tell them what a great job they did.  I told her choir teacher how impressed I was by their encouragement of each other.  It was a really wonderful thing to see.  :-)




Seeing how many of Noah's friends were there performing made me wish Noah would perform too, but I think he's just too shy to want to do it.  He has a really great voice too, but I haven't been able to convince him of that yet.  We'll see if he changes his mind next year. :-)





More silliness before Madie's vocal solo.  She did a fantastic job on her vocal solo (again, you can see some of it below).  She has a beautiful voice and even the judge commented how well she did.






She had over 2 hours between her vocal solo and her flute solo, so we went home for lunch.  Pete's parents came out to hear her, so they arrived during that break and went back with us to hear Madie's flute solo.  She's so comfortable in front of people when she performs.  I don't know where she gets that, because I'm always a nervous wreck when I have to do that!  But, once again, she did a really great job and got another first place rating.  She was three for three with her first place finishes.






We were so proud of her and all the great stuff she did that day.  I can only hope she continues to sing and play as she gets into high school.  She definitely has a great talent!





Here she is showing her first place ratings.  So, it was a really fun day to see how her hard work and practicing paid off.  Definitely a whole lot better than her mother was at that age.  I remember a trumpet duet that went horribly wrong due to the giggles and a total lack of practicing. ;-)





Here is her ensemble performance.



Here is her vocal solo.




Here is her flute solo.  Enjoy!

No comments: