Monday, January 31, 2011

Transitioning

In our quest to get things back to normal around here, we sent Noah back to school. I talked to his teacher yesterday to make sure it was ok with her, since the school nurse was not there today and she was fine with that. I reassured her that I would pop in throughout the day and check his sugars if need be and administer his shots at lunchtime.



I also talked with her about speaking to the class about the changes they'll be seeing. Don't want the other children to be scared if they see me or the nurse coming in and giving him shots. She agreed, so Noah and I had a quick talk with the kids about diabetes.


They then let the kids ask questions, which was the part that cracked me up the most. Almost half the class raised their hands to talk about people in their families that have diabetes or high blood pressure or any other sickness out there. They were so cute. They really wanted to share their stories to and find a way to relate to Noah. (These pictures are courtesy of my beautiful little Livie)


After that little talk, I left and told the teacher I'd be back in an hour or so to check on him. While I was home for that hour, I got Noah's lunchbox ready. I didn't give myself enough time to do that this morning with all the breakfast planning and shots, considering I still had to shower and get myself ready to go to school with them. So, this is what his new lunches will look like. You'll see the card on the left. Every morning I need to plan a balanced lunch and write down how much of each thing I pack and how many carbs they each have, so the nurse will know how much insulin to give him. A little complicated now, but hopefully we'll get used to doing this soon and it won't take so much time looking it all up.




Pete came and picked Livie up and took her to school, so I could head over to Noah's school and join him for lunch. I talked to all his friends and told them they really have to encourage him to eat his food and that they aren't allowed to take any of his food now or share any of theirs with him. They all reassured me that they would make great "babysitters" for him. ;-) Also talked to the lunch aides and let them know that some encouragement from them would be helpful as well. After he finished eating and was ready for recess, I quickly took him to the side and gave him his shot and he was on his way. His first day with his new routine was well on its way!



With a couple hours at home between visits to the school, Livie and I did her hair. :-) With our new morning jobs, there is no time for morning showers. So, showers are happening at bedtime now. We never have done this before, because I've got girls with curly hair and if you go to bed with wet, curly hair, you end up with a disaster in the morning. So, I straightened both Madie's hair last night and Livie's. I restraighted it this morning again and she just loved it!





She looks so grown-up, doesn't she!? Just a fun morning with my sweet girl, which was much needed after these past few days where all these changes happened. She was really feeling out of sorts and needed our normal mornings together to get things feeling better for her. We've both been trying to help Livie through this transition. It's been hard for her and she's been scared both for Noah and for herself. She's afraid now SHE'S going to get it and so, not only are we working with Noah, but trying to work with our girls as well as they deal with the changes.

2 comments:

Marc & Amy said...

Oh my goodness, Lori! You are an AMAZING mom! Only a couple of days into this and you are educating EVERYONE else!! I cannot believe all the calculating you have to do!!! You guys are on my mind all the time and I will keep praying for your transition into this new life and all that it entails. Hang in there!

Lori said...

Thanks, Amy, though I certainly don't feel "amazing". You've probably gone through this yourself, but I feel like I doubt myself even more about my abilities as a mom. I am constantly doubting how I'm handling one thing or another. Trying to be confident and, hopefully, once everything starts going smoothly with his shots and sticks at school, a lot of that pressure and self-doubt will go away, but it's a roller coaster for sure! Oh, and yes, the math sucks!!! Seriously my worst subject ever! But, that's what calculators are for, right? :-)