Monday, June 27, 2011

Vacation 2011 - Part 2

On Sunday we woke up and took our time getting ready. We had just a 7 hour drive that day, so we didn't need to get up at the crack of dawn to get going.


When we stopped for lunch, we had to take our NY rest stop photo. The difference between this one and the one in OH are the mountains in the background!! I love the forest-covered Appalachians. Gotta say though, I've seen the Apps in a lot of different states and always thought they were beautiful, but I never REALLY saw them in all their glory until we entered VT.




This is the first thing we saw when we entered VT. Look at that big, looming Green Mountain straight ahead. The Green Mountains were spectacular!! Absolutely gorgeous!! If I hadn't dropped my camera in the ocean (that's a later story), I would've taken some pictures of them on the way home. We left on Thursday evening and the fog was starting to cover the mountains and it was beyond words. So, as you can see, I fell in love with VT. And, it wasn't just the mountains that grabbed my heart, it was the history! We went down these small roads through these little towns that would say "Est. 1671" or "Est. 1720". Wow! We saw all these colonial houses, that you KNEW were around during the revolution. One church said "Est. 1771" and I turned to Pete and said, "I bet you anything that some of the revolutionists met there!" For someone who loves history as much as I do, it was thrilling.







We finally got to Micah's around suppertime and they were just getting everything ready for us to eat. Perfect timing! The kids were already having a great time together! Just so you know for future reference, Micah and Cara's kids are named Caleb (8), Isaiah (6), Mason (4), and Emma (any day now!). ;-)





We took our tent with us, so we could go camping and since it was brand new, it had this box in it. Mason loved it, so I cut eye holes in it and he walked around like this robot for a while. I eventually added arm holes, so he wouldn't fall over and smash his face. He also decorated it as well, later on in the week. It was really, really cute!!





Since we decided to camp out the first night, Micah took the boys and set up their tent as well. So, I camped out for the first time ever! And, honestly, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was a really cool night - in the 40s - which was perfect camping weather! When I woke up the next morning, Pete was looking at me with this huge smile on his face. It was so funny! He was so excited that I went camping!





The kids had so much fun exploring their yard. Micah and Cara live in the middle of the woods. They live at the end of a long driveway, down a long, bumpy road, so it's very quiet there and the kids had the freedom to play without the need of supervision. It was wonderful for all of us! They got to be kids like we used to be when we were their age.




Caleb and Madie played the most together. They had lots of fun adventures and had a ball!!





Micah had to show me his motorcycle. He works 45 min away, so riding this on nice days saves lots in gas for him. Plus, I know he loves how fun it is!! He offered to take me a ride, but I wasn't quite that trusting yet. I mean, let's be honest. He had every excuse to get me back after what I did to him when we were kids. ;-)





Each night, we had the kids hang out in the boys' room and watch movies together to get them ready to quiet down for bed. They had a great time together!




The first morning we woke up after camping all night, I went to the house to go to the bathroom when Caleb and Madie pointed out to me that there were these HUGE moths by the door. I, of course, despise moths, so I was not terribly thrilled to see them blocking my entrance into the house, but once I got inside, it was neat to see them. They really were beautiful (again, from inside a plate glass window, of course). I found out later that these are Luna Moths. The biggest of their kind. Livie, my bug girl, was over the moon (pardon the pun)!




There were actually THREE of them that morning, so all the kids took turns playing with them for a good hour or so. See those happy faces!





Each meal, the kids all sat together and laughed and chatted and had fun. It makes me sad that they don't get to see each other more often, but at least we pack in as much fun as we can when we ARE together.




It was funny how often the kids paired off by birth order. Of course, they all played together at different points, but Livie was usually with Mason, Noah with Isaiah, and Madie with Caleb. Here, Livie is with Isaiah, playing outside.





Their favorite thing of the week, was playing in the woods. Yes, they got a million bug bites, but that didn't stop them. There is a fort in the woods, so they spent a lot of time on that. Again, it made me so happy to see them have the freedom to play like we did when we were kids. So much of that is lost nowadays. It was the best part for me of this whole trip! I took most of these pictures while Pete was out golfing that morning with Micah. When they got back we headed out to go hiking, which will be my next post later today. :-)

No comments: