Monday, June 2, 2014

Short Update

My brother drove out from NH on Friday night, arriving in IN around 3pm on Saturday, because he was afraid that she wasn't going to make it if he waited until Sat night like he had planned.  She was doing so poorly on Friday when we saw her.  This is what he posted on FB about his time with mom

**This last Friday I decided to go back to Indiana to see my mom one last time. She has been sick for some time now and has gotten worse in the last few weeks. Before I decided to go out I thought my last visit with her at Thanksgiving was good enough for me. For a week I felt this pull that I needed to go see her. Then I finally realized that it was HER that needed to see me. She needed to say"Goodbye" to her son. When I got their on Saturday she didn't seem herself. So on Sunday morning I visited her while my dad was in church. I brought her outside and we sat and enjoyed a beautiful light breeze and wonderful sunshine. I sang to her songs that talked about Heaven. We cried together and I told her not to be afraid and that I loved her very much. There was a moment when I was crying that she started to rub my hand and then my cheek trying to comfort me. Even though she was going thru such a hard time she was comforting me, her son! That is the kind of mother she is. I am going to miss her so much. I do have comfort knowing that I will see her again. A place where there will be no pain, no sorrow, no suffering. She will be free. I love you mom and I will miss you so much. Thank you for comforting me when I needed it the most. I will always remember those precious last moments we had together.

This was a much different visit than I had with her on Friday and it made me smile through my tears.  I continue to pray for mercy and peace as she continues through her final days.  I want her to have more moments like that and less like those I experienced with her on Friday, where she was choking, hungry, and panicked.

I dreamt last night that she passed away and, when she did, she smiled a smile of relief. I'm hanging on to that image as we continue to watch and pray for her life to end.  I'm just going to imagine, even if it's not a physical reality that I will see, that smile she will have when she gets to see her Savior's face for the first time.  Can you imagine the glory of it?  This journey continues...

No comments: