Saturday, January 2, 2010

Roller Derby!!


Oh my gosh!! Did we have fun today. We went to our friend Tessa's birthday party at the roller skating rink. My kids have never been roller skating before in their lives and I haven't been on roller skates in probably 22 yrs. Pete stayed home, so he could work around the house, so it was just me and the kids. Asking for trouble, do you think? ;-) Well, it wasn't troubled at all! It was hilariously fun! That is our friend Jayson, his son Jack, me, and Livie skating in a chain. Noah is on his way over to join Jayson. It was too funny!



I got the kids' skates on and before I had finished with Madie's skates, Noah was already out on the rink, trying his hand at skating. He fell probably 100 times, but he didn't care. He just got up again and kept trying. Laughing the whole time. :-) Livie wore skates that fit over your shoes, so it helped her a bit with her balance, but she too fell a few times. I held her hand a lot today. Madie got upset, because she couldn't stay balanced, but once she got the hang of it, she had a ball! The above picture is usually where you found Noah that first hour of skating. ;-)




They got used to holding the wall for the first few trips around, but after that, they rarely held the wall at all. Just went for it!





Here I am, getting MY skates. I took a picture of the kids getting ready to go back on the rink during the laser dances. I didn't think I was going to skate. Thinking, instead, that I would be needed to help them learn. But, they really wanted to try on their own, so I went ahead and got skates. I was laughing the entire time too, because I was the one who had to hold onto the wall that time! I got used to it and it all came back to me eventually. All of it, except how to stop. I had to just go full-speed into walls to get myself to stop. Only took out one kid doing that too. Not bad! ;-)





Here are Madie and Noah during the laser couple skate. :-) So cute!




See? They're getting the hang of it now.






Here are the girls with the birthday girl herself - Tessa! She's such a sweetie!





Livie loved looking at the spinning strobe ball in the ceiling.







Here are all the kids - and they're standing! Usually if they were all together like that, at least one would've fallen by the time I got my camera out.





Here are all the kids, gathered around the cake, singing Happy Birthday.






And, here is Tessa opening her presents. I told Pete I wish he would've been there, because it was so fun to watch the kids and SO fun to be back on skates again! Noah's decided that is where he wants his birthday to be. We had planned on having a bowling party, but looks like we'll be visiting the roller skating rink about this time next month too! :-)

No comments: