Thursday, January 14, 2010

Student of the Week

Noah is Student of the Week this week, which means he fills out a poster about himself and then we can come in and do something with the kids. You might remember me doing this last year where he and I did a scrapbook about him and he brought it in to show everyone. Madie had me bring ice cream in to make ice cream sundaes, etc... Those are the types of things we did. Noah wanted me to do an art project, which thrilled me to no end, because they don't have an art teacher, so they rarely do anything other than crafts. So, I thought about what they could do in a short amount of time and I thought watercolors would be fun. And, boy!, were they!!!




I brought bowls of 7 different colors, giving each group of desks 4-5 colors each. Then each got a piece of watercolor paper and straws. They were to use no brushes. They just the straws. I showed them an example of what to do, so they could do it themselves, without making a mess and thankfully we only had a couple spills. But, they take the straw, dip it in the paint, put their finger over the top which holds the paint inside the straw, then put that drop on their paper and blow.

They got to make some really cool designs and they had an absolute ball!!!



It was hard to make them stop, but they finally did after creating some beautiful designs. Then we sat and talked about primary colors and how they create secondary colors. I was totally in my element. Loved every minute of it! Mrs. Smith told me any time I want to come in and do a art project with them I can, so I'm starting my list now. :-) Don't think I could do it every week, but thinking maybe once a month or every two. I have to buy the supplies myself, so I'm trying not to go overboard, but I'm thinking of everything I could introduce them too and my brain is going in all different directions. Just had a really fun time with them all! And, I think Noah is just a little bit cooler for having such a fun way to celebrate his "Student of the Week" status. :-)

2 comments:

Suzy said...

You are the coolest mom ever! Art class was the highlight of my day/week all the way through 10th grade, when I moved here and no longer had art class. I invite you to come over in about 4 years and teach my kids how to watercolor with straws!

Lori said...

I'd LOVE to! :-) My mind has been going in all directions, trying to come up with some fun, 45 min projects to do in the coming weeks/months. I'm hoping to do that with his class twice a month. Then bring the supplies home and do it with the girls too. It's so fun!