Sunday, July 25, 2010

Chattin'



Can anyone guess what the kids are doing here? Gathered around the computer screen? Not talking with Pete. Nope. We had an extra-special surprise late this afternoon that had the kids very excited! While getting ready to go to VBS, we happened to find that my Aunt Phyl and Uncle David happened to be online. So, I asked the kids if they wanted to Skype with them and they came barrelling into the bedroom to chat with them. I sent them a quick message and within a few seconds we heard the familiar sound of someone calling us. It took a few tries to get it to work. Haiti's not known for having the best skyping connections, but we finally got them and the kids were talking their ears off! They all want to see lizards and tarantulas (gross, right?!), but there were none to be found at that moment. And, I'm sure that's to my Aunt's great delight! Don't think even 35 yrs of being down there makes dealing with tarantulas any easier! I didn't get to stay for the entire conversation, because we were getting ready to leave for VBS and I had to get a few things ready, but Aunt Phyl chatted with them and then turned the camera over to Uncle David and they got to chat with them. Right before we were disconnected again, Aunt Phyl had taken the computer outside the house and was showing them the flowers and stuff. They were SOOO excited! The kids have been very interested in Haiti, especially after the earthquake, because it was such a topic of the news, at school and church, and they could relate to that, because their aunt and uncle were down there. Now, they pray about Haiti all the time and always want to give things to Haiti. When we got our new TV recently, Livie said, "We should give the old one to Haiti." :-) Like I said, Haiti is always on their minds. So, to talk to them and know they were talking to them in Haiti was a real treat and very exciting for them. Unfortunately, as I said before, we got disconnected, so it was a brief conversation, but they enjoyed it a lot and are excited to chat with them again sometime. So amazing to me that we can talk to each other, let alone SEE each other, while we talk. Not to mention, do it for FREE! I can totally remember my mom getting up at like 5 am, so she could talk to Phyl before the rates got higher at 6am. And, even then, the conversations by phone were brief, because they were difficult to make and very expensive, even at that crazy hour of the morning. I believe she even did the old HAM radios. And, here, my kids are able to see them - albeit sketchy and out-of-focus - and talk to them like they're down the street. Unbelievable! I think Skyping is without a doubt the new, best way to communicate. And, we never would've done it had Pete never gone to China. So, guess there are a couple good things about him going over there! Anyway, a fun chat with a great couple of people. Let's just hope that next time, Phyl doesn't follow through with the "We'll skype again when I have a lizard and tarantula.". Though, I'm sure my kids would go nuts for it!

No comments: