Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Not a New Thing

We've lived in the Ottawa area now for nearly 9 years. I had never before lived in an area with major rivers, so when we first saw flooding happen, we were quite impressed and interested in what flooded and all that. Well, my interest in the flooding has diminished a bit. Last Sept we had one of the highest flood levels on record. Scores of people, us included, went out and took pictures and were just so amazed at how high the water got. You see we have both the Illinois and Fox Rivers running through here and right next to the high school is where they merge. Well, folks, that flood that was so impressive and amazing was nearly eclipsed just this week - 6 months later. The past week we've been getting quite a bit of rain. Today the sun finally peeked out, but with it came cold weather again. Yuck! I went around and took a couple pictures (inside the van), so you could see the similiarities from my post last September on the flooding.



This was in September. Notice the nice green grass and the full trees? Oh how I miss that!! This is looking from the south side of the road.


This is the same road (Green St) that is looking from the north side. No passing through this way for a while. It always floods, but this is pretty deep even for normal flooding. You can see it's nearly the same as last time.



This was the bridge that crosses right next to the area where they merge. Right next to the high school. This was September. It actually peaked later that day and hit the bottom of the bridge.



This is today, looking from the other side. You can see, it's pretty high again. Nearly as high as September's flood.




This is my sweet little Olivia, standing in front of the YMCA last Sept. Again, notice that beautiful green grass? :-( Miss it so much. Anyway, the water was all the way to the door of the building. Amazingly the sand bags kept it from getting inside the building though. I was shocked by that! It was lapping up against the doors for 2 days.



This is from today. Hasn't quite gotten to the parking lot. So, a few inches shy of what happened last summer. Of course, last summer, we got out of the car, walked around, and stuff. It was beautiful out that day. Today it's 19. So, all the pictures were taken in the van. Have I mentioned how sick I am of winter now? Anyway, I've decided that flooding is actually more of an inconvience than a fun, little adventure. But, I guess that's part of life in Ottawa.

No comments: