Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Anniversary Trip - Day 2 (Boat Ride)

Day 2 of our trip started off early. Since we had missed the boat the day before, we bought tickets for the 10:30 one that morning, so I got up early and showered and then we decided to order room service, so we could continue getting ready before leaving.


Here is our spread. Now, I'm not a morning person, therefore not a huge breakfast person. It's hard for me to eat right away. I usually eat toast or something mild. Not a giant ham and cheese omelet with all the trimmings. I only ate about 1/3 of the omelet and an english muffin half, but that was enough to send me into misery for about an hour. Ugh. I was beginning to wonder if I'd make it to the boat, but I figured it's better to get moving than wallow in my discomfort, so we left about 10 to get down to the boat. Well, the elevators were SUPER slow and it took a while to get one that wasn't packed. And, since we were on the 17th floor, didn't really feel like hoofing it.



We took this picture the day before, but it gives you a view of the Wendella tour boat launch area.



Here's Pete standing in the same area. :-) Well, after the delays because of my stomach and because of the elevators our "getting their early" plan was a failure and we were last in line. Which, unfortunately meant we didn't get to sit on the upper deck. Plus there were no seats outside on the lower deck either. :-(



Pete and I positioned ourselves by this window at the front for half of the trip and kind of wandered around a bit to take pictures. It wasn't too bad actually and we eventually found a seat in the back and got to finish our ride back there. It was so relaxing and beautiful outside. Really a lot of fun!



Here's looking out the front of the boat.




A pirate ship passed us on the left. I wasn't able to get a shot of the whole boat, because we were in the lock, getting ready to go out into Lake Michigan, but you can see the flags. :-)






Here I am looking out the front of the boat. And, here are a bunch of pictures we took on our ride. Pete took about 50 pictures, but after a while the skyscrapers just look the same, so here are some of my favorites....






This is Navy Pier.







A lighthouse by the breaker walls in Lake Michigan. We got this close to it. So neat!






Here's Pete by the front of the boat too. It got a little choppy when we were going fast in the Lake and with my stomach issues earlier that morning, I was scared that I might get motion sickness (my best friend Michelle can attest to my motion sickness issues). ;-) Thankfully my stomach had settled and I was totally fine the whole time.


The Bears Stadium. And, yes, the top of someone's head. She was sitting. I was standing. I'm short, what can I say?



Us towards the end of the tour. We were sitting and relaxing and enjoying the view. :-)



Down the Chicago River back towards the hotel we stayed at.


Can't remember which building this is, but I thought it was giant and cool!

Here's a short video I took when we were on the lake, so you could see what it was like a bit. We were still in the front of the boat. If any of you are ever in Chicago, I highly recommend this! It was a lot of fun. Jill and Adam told us about it. They've taken it several times. They usually go in the evenings though, so you can see the lights. I bet that would've been awesome! But, a daytime trip was fun too. :-)

No comments: