Saturday, June 6, 2009

Ridiculous!

This morning was like Christmas in our house. For 2 weeks I had promised Madie and Noah they could come with me to the Seneca citywide garage sales. They had worked for those 2 weeks to earn $5/ea to spend. They could barely sleep last night in anticipation! They kept saying, "I'm going to wake up at 6am!". "Yeah, well, I'm going to wake up at 5am!". No, no, no. I told them they could get up at 7, so we could leave at 7:30. Sure enough, at 7am on the nose, 2 very excited kids came running into our bedroom. "It's 7 o'clock!!!" So, I dragged my sorry butt out of bed and got them dressed and all that, as well as myself, and we were out the door. We had so much fun! We didn't get home until almost noon. I had a dollar in my purse and a trunk full of treasures. It was fantastic! I brought everything inside the house and showed Pete and Olivia what we got. Livie was beyond excited! Pete was just happy they were happy. But, also enjoyed the work shirts I got him as well. But, as I was basking in the glow of my garage sale high, Pete made a comment. An innocent comment, as I was unloaded the bags of goodies. While I was talking, I heard him say, "Yeah, well you can take that out to the new skunk hole.". I continued talking, then stopped in mid-sentence. "What did you say?" I asked - afraid to hear him repeat it. "The new skunk hole," he said. I nearly sunk into the floor. How could this be?! We had made a fortress of pavers. It was unpenitrable! "He dug in through the grass," he told me. I went immediantely to the patio door and looked outside....




A new hole. In our yard, no less. My garage sale high suddenly came crashing down into a skunk hole low. I finally thought we had bested it. Four skunks later, we had finally beaten it! Yet, here was a 5th skunk. A new hole, dug brazenly through our grass and under the patio again. I was so upset. Pete was resigned. We stewed for a couple hours in our anger until Pete remembered we had gotten some fireworks last weekend. Ahhh! Perhaps all the joy was NOT gone!



He brought out the smoke bombs. :-) Lit a couple of those puppies up, threw them in the hole, put a paver on top, and we laughed and laughed. I don't even know if the skunk was in there. Honestly, don't really care. Just being able to light those up and see the smoke fill it up was too much fun to watch! Not sure where this saga will take us next. Whether we'll end up hiring a sniper. Throwing poison pellets in there. Or maybe just enjoy smoking the sucker up. But, at least today, we feel like we got in a small laugh at its expense. And, hopefully we'll figure out a way to get rid of this one as we have the other 4.

2 comments:

The Schutz Family said...

I'm cracking up at this blog post! HA! SMOKE BOMBS! Good one! Take that you smelly sknunk!

The Schutz Family said...

Oops, I mean skunk...why is it that I only find my typos after I post them?