Thursday, June 18, 2009

Spelling


There are times when living in Marseilles that you see something and just shake your head. For example a couple who live a couple blocks away have a 4-drawer filing cabinet on their front porch. Why, you ask? Pete thought it was to file their drug orders. You know you have a good drug dealer when they stay abreast of your addiction by keeping files. Or, the people who had the pink Obama cow during the election season. We STILL have no idea what the significance of that was. Some of these things we pass and shake our heads, not fully understanding WHY they have this. Nothing, though, has bothered me or perplexed me quite as much as the signs that have been posted all over town letting us know about a "moveing sale". Now, when I first saw the signs, back in May, I once again just shook my head and laughed. MovEing? Seriously? You would think that "moving" wouldn't be a hard word to spell. And, if WAS hard to remember to spell, you'd think they would use a dictionary or spell check before putting up 12-15 signs up all over town. Let alone leave them up for weeks after the sale was over. They've moved and left town by now, yet their signs remain for us to laugh at. If any of you have ever seen the "Fail Blog", it's quite hilarious. Every day situations where people or things fail to do what they should. This is a pretty awesome example of a moveing fail. Oh, if I could only have told you about my VBS experience last year. It was an add fail and quite an hilarious one at that, but I'll save that for another day. :-)

2 comments:

Judi Hahn said...

Okay, you've aroused my curiosity. An "add fail"? Do you mean "ad" fail? Please don't wait too long to let us know what you meant by that. And, oh yes, those folks who had a movEing sale, they've probably MOVD by now, they just got their "E"s mixed up.

Being a paralegal, I hate it when I see the word judgment spelled with an "e" in it (judgement). So wrong!

Lori said...

No. My favorite is "dinning room" instead of "dining room". I've seen that on the drive-thrus of so many restaurants, it's ridiculous. It's one "n" people!! But, "moveing" just took the cake for me. Like, I don't mind misspellings on emails. But, if you're going to take the time to make a sign and post it for all to see, then make sure you've spelled it correctly. It's not hard to do. It's called using a dictionary. Or, should it be "useing" a dictionary? ;-)