Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Prayers

As many of you know, my aunt and uncle are missionaries in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. They were hit late this afternoon with a 7.0 earthquake. Thankfully we have gotten word, through my cousins, that they are both safe. My uncle and Bruce McMartin were teaching at the Bible School at the time and, despite the 1st floor and attic of the school collapsing, they are both safe. Two students remain trapped as of this post and are feared dead. They are all quite shaken and continue to need our prayers as they help with rescue efforts. The Haitian people need our prayers as well. I'm sure this has been devastating to them all.


UPDATE - this is an email I just received from my aunt...

Yes, we were hit hard by this earthquake. The original Bible School building has partially collapsed. Classes were in session. People got out covered in dirt and debris. There are at least 2 students that David and Bruce are still trying to get out. They have not heard from them, so they are feared dead. We don't have the heavy equipment needed. It is pitch black and we have neighbors and students all over the campus. Cindy and I said we are sleeping outside because the aftershocks are still going on and they are really frightening too. This is the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced. You know there has been tremendous loss of life. STEP is finished for this academic year. The building will probably have to come down completely.

All the homes are standing but not sure of the structural damage. There is lots of damage with broken glass, etc... David yelled for me to get out of the house. I was walking on the treadmill and once it started I was thrown back and held on for dear life. The bookcases and things in my workroom came down. Cindy was walking down her hallway and could barely stay on her feet. We have no way to contact the Mears, Days and Weavers here in Port, so I don't know how they are. Our missionaries out in the provinces are ok.

Pray for all of us in the days ahead to meet the needs of those around us. We have many friends and have no idea if they are ok or not and have no way to get in touch with them.

2 comments:

stipeygirl75 said...

How scary. I watched the news last night and it was just sad to hear. How so many millions of people live in little shacks on the side of the hills, how the buildings are so flimsy :( We will definitely be praying for all the people of Haiti.

Lori said...

Thanks, Sarah. They need all the prayers they can get.