Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Plant Shelf

Pete got a new toy. He decided to go ahead and cash in his frequent flyer points from all his travels these past 3 years and got himself something (that he thinks..) is exciting. ;-)



Now, this special toy had parts that needed to go on our plant shelf. This plant shelf was decorated in 2003. How do I know this? Because one of the boxes up there was from Noah's 1st Christmas when he was only 10m old, so I know it went up that Christmas. In all that time, we never got up there and dusted. You can only imagine what 7 years worth of dust looks like!! Pete climbed up on that shelf and handed everything down to me and we got cleanin'!!


Can you see the dust of which I speak? Yeah. Pretty crazy.


Now the plant shelf is completely empty, save these two little black boxes. Can you tell what his new toy is yet?



It a new surround sound system with blue-ray DVD player. Not exactly the most exciting thing for his wife, but he deserves something cool after all that hard work these past 3 years! We still had enough FF points to get new phones, a set of binoculars, and (shhh...it's a secret for the kids) a consession stand popcorn popper. We're giving that to them for Christmas. Think it'll be fun for movie nights. :-) Now, I just have to figure out what I want to put on the plant shelf now. Fake ivy and plants are out! Need to find easier to clean items. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Suzy said...

A collection of beautiful blue glass Ball jars? I have a ton that I need to get rid of. :) And they can go in the dishwasher!

Lori said...

The plant shelf is so high that you really have to put big things up there in order to see them. As cool as those jars sound, I think they may be too short. :-(

Judi Hahn said...

I have my cleaning person get up there every year and dust. I figure once a year is enough. And in that year, even in a new house with no old dust, it still gets a fine layer of drywall stuff on it and the dust collectors on the shelf, which in my case include three large jars with glass pebbles (red/white/green--Italian Flag), two old fashioned typewriters, my violin nice perched, and a couple of old framed pictures of our family. But, the dust does collect, and in the kitchen which gets the treatment twice a year, it's a greasy dust. I hate it, but my cleaner doesn't mind heights. I do.