I recently decided that I needed to be realistic about my height. I've always accepted that I am short. I mean, there's really no denying that when you're only one inch away from needing a booster seat by law. But, when you're short, you don't really realize HOW short you are. I mean, I've lived in this body my whole life and am just used to seeing things from this perspective, but even though I've accepted it and love that it makes me the unique person I am, there are a few things that I've had to embrace for the first time ever. I've embraced the fact that heels really aren't doing anything to bridge the 1 1/2 foot gap between me and my husband and, frankly, my feet hurt like heck after I wear them. So I am officially a heel-free, shoe-wearin' gal! The second realization was in regards to my bike. I naturally have ridden adult bikes since I was a teenager. You know, when I was "full-grown". However, it occured to me just this summer (yes, it took me 36 yrs to reach this conclusion) that I'm not the average size of an adult. Why would I be riding an adult-sized bike? I'm generally the average height of a 5th or 6th grader and should be riding a bike for THAT size instead. So, I went to the store and looked at the smaller bikes. Trying to find one that kind of resembled something an adult would use. When I found none, I decided to once again embrace the shortness and go for it! I bought a bike with tassles, glitter butterflies, and matching backpack! And, you know what? I love it!! Now, I realized with my bike that I though I am the average height of a 6th grader, I do not have a 6th grade butt, so I went with a larger, memory foam-filled seat and I gave the tassles to Livie and Madie got the backpack. But, it's still very recognizably a kids bike. So, here is my bike in all its glory!
I replaced the backpack with a basket, since I need a place to put the first aid kit and stuff. I made the mistake of NOT bringing a first aid kit on a bike ride and had to walk a hobbled Noah home 2 blocks with skinned knees. Trying not to make THAT mistake again! But, isn't it fantastic?? Just my size!
It has this lovely foam accent piece on the front of the handlebars. Rock on, my friends, rock on!
And, look at those glittered decals! Jealous, aren't you?
Compared to Pete's bike, it seems a teeny bit small, but that's all part of me embracing me. Like I told Madie, who's going to be a shorty herself, it's part of our family's legacy! My great-grandma Sbaraglia was 4'10", just like me, according to geneology records. My grandma? 4'11". Her sister? 4'9". It's in our genes to be short and I love that I can carry on that legacy. If it means giving up heels or riding a bike with butterflies on it, that's ok. I like that I'm uniquely me!
2 comments:
Hilarious! Love that you are embracing your kid-height status ... although I think you should have kept the tassles. :)
We're hoping to buy Livie a bigger bike soon, so once I do, I might get to have my tassles back. Every 36 yr old needs a couple tassles in their life!
Post a Comment