Today we got to meet with our State Representative (aka US Congressman), Adam Kinzinger. There is a campaign happening all across America called "Promise to Remember", urging our reps to continue funding Type 1 research. This research is also provided funding through fundraising events such as "Walk to Cure Diabetes" that we took part in last year and will again take part in this year. But, even though the efforts of JDRF raises millions of dollars, we need the government's funding as well, so we can continue to make advances in the fight against diabetes.
We got to town early, because I wasn't quite sure where the place was. We found it very quickly, which left us 25 min to kill. We decided to walk around town for a little while, because it was so beautiful outside - can we say 71 degrees in August?!! I decided, since the kids were all bathed and extra cute, I would take their picture. :-)
Rep. Kinzinger's offices are on the top floor of a really old building in town. Isn't it cool inside?! There is marble everywhere and beautiful old woodwork. Loved it! I wasn't able to find out how old the building is though. I'm guessing it was probably built in the 20s.
There were 4 families with Type 1 kids, including the JDRF rep and his daughter. Then there were two sisters that both developed Type 1 in the 70s. They've seen first hand how much technology has come along since their diagnosis. We all went around the table and shared our stories. Noah said, "Hopefully one day there will be a cure and when someone finds out they have diabetes, they can get medicine just like they do for a cold and will get better.". So true, Noah! Afterwards, we all met in another room and got to get pictures with him. He's the super-cute guy in the middle there. Did I mention he's a republican? That was just an extra bonus! ;-) It was really cool to meet other families that share our story. They too are going through the things we've gone through and continue to go through. The gal on the right in turquoise mentioned that they don't sleep well after diagnosis, because you are constantly up and checking on them to make sure they aren't low. That has been the story of our lives this week too! I've slept in Noah's trundle for the past two nights, trying to keep track of his BS, because he's been dropping so much. So much that I could relate to them on.
We got to get a picture with him and our family as well. It was shortly after this photo, after I told Adam -I can call him that now. We're friends ;-) - thank you for hearing our story, that Madie alerted me to the fact that my shirt had come unbuttoned. Yes. You'll notice it in the picture above. At some point during our hour there, my shirt came unbuttoned and I was flashing bra to everyone. Yep. The one time I meet someone from our national government and I am showing off my bra. I swear this only happens to me! But, hey, as long as the funding continues, I will flash my bra, speak to whoever, and stand on my head to help find a cure! Noah and all those other kids and adults affected are worth it!
No comments:
Post a Comment