After, what seems like forever, we finally made it down to Peoria for our "Pondering Pump" class!! This is the first class in a series of classes offered to families considering the option of getting a pump. A pump is the end goal for all Type Ones. I've been pushing to get Noah on a pump since shortly after he was diagnosed 2 1/2 yrs ago. I just couldn't quite get my boys on board. Well, we finally took it today and I am so excited to get started on pump therapy!
We had some friends watch our girls, because you're only allowed to bring 3 people to the class - so basically the parents/guardians and the child. We got a booklet of information and a questionnaire to fill out. One of the nurses from the PDRC led the class and gave us a brief introduction into what the pump is all about.
Then we had 4 different reps from 4 different pump companies come and speak to us and answer our questions. The Medtronic company actually gave us pumps to look at and try out. This company has been making pumps for many, many years and sell the largest amount in the U.S. The favorite of mine was called the t:slim. It was a small, thin one that looks to be about the size of a credit card. It has a touch screen and is SO easy to use! I told Noah that THAT was the one I wanted him to get.
After the reps spoke to us, the PDRC nurse came back and let us know what we do if we want to move forward and get a pump. Basically we would be coming down for 3 more different classes. We'd have to fill out the paperwork and get approved for a pump. We'd have to submit a month's worth of BS readings (which we already have right now). Once we get the pump, we take a saline class. They would fill the pump with saline and we would spend 2 weeks getting used to using the pump with saline. We'd have homework to do to try out different features - all while still giving him his normal insulin doses by pen. Then we'd go back down to Peoria again and take a class on using insulin and start giving him his insulin using the pump. And, last but not least, we'd have a class on advanced features of the pump. This is a lot and when you add a 4 hr round trip drive to that, babysitters to find, and balancing school stuff and babysitting that I do in there too, well, it's going to make for quite a crazy process. BUT, that being said, I am really, really excited about getting him started on pump therapy!!! Yes, we'll have a lot of trips to make down there and a long process to go through. Yes, it'll be like learning everything all over again. Yes, it's going to be an expense and a half! But, it's going to make his life soooo much easier! Our insurance right now has an uber-high deductible, so we may need to wait until we can get a different insurance plan starting the first of the year, but either way, it's definitely in his near future and I'm so excited to get him started. He's really excited too and that's the best part! As you see from the picture above, we walked out of there with lots of information to go through and I will be spending the weekend filling out paperwork on 3 different pumps to see what the insurance will cover now. So, wish us luck as we go through the quagmire of stuff that is in our immediate future. It's going to be a LOT!
For now, we're trying out a free demo of the Omnipod which is a tubeless/disposable pump. He will wear this for 3 days and then throw it away. It isn't currently injected into his skin and doesn't have any insulin in it. We're just seeing how it adheres and if it irritates his skin and if he likes the freedom it brings not having tubes connected to his body. I love this option too, but it comes with a remote that does all the injection settings and, as often as I lose my cell phone, makes me worry about how easily I will lose a remote! Anyway, really energized after today's class and looking forward to what's to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment