Friday, April 10, 2009

Glasses

GLASSES. They are something I got when I was in Kindergarten. Just a couple months or so after my 6th birthday. And, that is exactly where my children have been led. They have inherited my accursed bad vision!! I took them in for a routine check-up and low and behold, Noah needed glasses! I was shocked. With Madie, I noticed that she wasn't able to read things at a distance, but didn't notice that at all with Noah. But, apparently he was having trouble too, so we ordered them and picked them up this morning.



Don't ask me why Livie insists on sticking her tongue out in every picture I take now. Silly head.

We tried several pairs on, but as soon as Noah saw these Superman glasses, those were the ones he wanted. Hands down. They are a little wider that he probably should've gotten, but they're cute and I really like them. He was so excited when he got them and had been eagerly awaiting them for the past 2 weeks. When he put them on, he was pushing them up and down and saying, "I can't see that, but (moves his glasses up) now I can!". :-) Well, after about a half hour, the novelty of the glasses had worn off and I noticed he had taken them off. I asked him why he wasn't wearing his glasses and I was told that they were now "annoying". So, I've been making him wear them in interviles. The first intervile was for 15 min and I swear he watched the clock the entire time until he could take them off. :-) Then he had a half hour break before having to wear them for another half hour. Then another break. He's now wearing them for an hour. Hopefully by Tues when they're back in school he'll be ok with wearing them the whole day. He just looks so grown up now. I looked at Madie the same way when she first got them. She didn't quite look like my Madie just like Noah now doesn't quite look like my Noah. But, now I can't picture Madie without her glasses and I'm sure in a couple weeks he'll be used to them and I'll be used to seeing him in them. He's a cutie either way. Just wish my poor kids could've made it past the age of 6 before they needed them.



Madie's glasses are a little smaller on her face and are brown instead of purple. And, they have cute little white flowers on the sides of them. She's got a stigmatism now though, just like me. The eye doctor said she's going down the exact same path as I did. Except at her age I already had contacts, so I guess she's a little different.



The only thing I'm hoping is that Livie will escape my genes and follow after her daddy who didn't get glasses until college. Like he said, "She has my blue eyes, so there's hope!". Because if not, she might end up looking like this picture!!!! (she had to try on glasses at Walmart since we all got new glasses and she didn't) ;-)

2 comments:

Amy said...

I hope your kids do better with glasses than mine. Rachel has astigmatism and had to get glasses when she was barely 5, even before kindergarten. But she has just recently broken her 3rd pair. *sigh* I swear we are gonna have to duct tape the next pair to her face to make sure they stay on and not broken.

Lori said...

Well, the way Noah's been laying them around any place he thinks of, he's either bound to break them or bound to LOSE them. ;-) He's been better today about wearing them, so hopefully he'll do a good job with them. But, heck, if not, that's what insurance is for, right??