Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I Took A Leap

We went out to eat last night to Chili's and as you probably all know, broccoli comes as one of the side dishes with every meal. At first, I was disgusted. Looking for the nearest place to dump it and get it as far away from our table as possible. Thinking of writing a letter to the company asking for immediate discontinuation of all broccoli side dishes. But then a little light bulb went off above my head and I looked at the kids and said, "Hey, do you dare me to eat a bite?". And, they were all like, "Yeah! You have to try it!" and laughing. Even Pete said, "Yeah, you'll never eat it.", which of course to me is a challenge. I got my napkin ready for the impending spewage that was sure to come. Placed a small bite on the end of my fork, with smiling faces from my family looking at me, I dug in. I was expecting it to have a similiar taste to cow poop, maybe even dried, burnt cow poop, but what I tasted was a surprise! It was, dare I say?, good. I put the napkin down, continued to chew, and swallowed. The kids were looking at me expectately. "I liked it," I said. Madie replied, "I knew you would! It's good, isn't it mommy?" Pete was shocked. He couldn't believe I actually liked it. I took another bite and encouraged him to do the same. He decided to take one too. He didn't puke it up either! We were actually eating broccoli!!!! The stuff I've cursed since the moment of my conception was something I was actually willingly putting in my mouth, and not under diress or torture. It was like an out-of-body experience. Us sitting there, eating broccoli trees and enjoying it. I finally know what my aunt and cousins and moms have been saying. Broccoli. Is. Good. Pete and I shared my helping and ate the whole thing - sharing a few bites with the kids as well. I am a changed person. I took a leap and it paid off. I will no longer continue my fight against this veggie. I will embrace it as it has embraced me. And, of course, if you believe that, then you're a fool. An April Fool to be exact. Because everything I just said is a complete and total joke. Got ya!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Awwww :-( I was so excited there for a bit! How disappointing to find out that you are too scared of broccoli to eat it. I mean, c'mon you're bigger than it is. Surely you could subdue it should anything unfortunate happen while you were tasting it.

Just do it!!! Taste the broccoli!!!!

Lori said...

No way. Like I told my best friend, I don't like puking. So, therefore I won't be putting anything in my stomach that is sure to cause spewage. Ugh. Even thinking about it is causing cramping....

Judi Hahn said...

You almost had me, but I knew it was too good to be true. But I was prepared to give out a hardy, "Praise the Lord". So, you see, you denied one of my "praises" to our Lord.

BTW, I sent you a brocolli recipe that I found on-line. Don't even think about trying it. Even I couldn't get it down. It was really awful. Keep to the basics and just eat it with salt and pepper.

Amy said...

Oh c'mon Lori. Even my kids know that you shouldn't say you hate something until you've at least tried it. They've called me on that before. I always said I hated pickles but they reminded me that I hadn't tried them and therefore couldn't hate them. Well I've tasted them and can officially say that I HATE them!!

You just need to try one bite to confirm that you don't like it. C'mon just try it!! It's even better smothered in cheese :-)

Kristen said...

You totally had me. I had visions of Sam-I-Am finally getting Lori to try broccoli. You are missing out on the BEST vegetable God created.

Rose said...

OhHo! And i thought this was the reason for the unseasonably cold weather. Good one, you little stinker!
And broccoli is good. It just depends on how you serve it. Though my son and my husband agree with you, they think it is evil- like part of the curse of the earth, invented by the devil for the torment of man by well-meaning mothers and wives. sigh.