Thursday, June 18, 2009
Add Fail
OK, since you asked Aunt Judi, I'll tell you about the "Add Fail" and yes, it's add as in addition. I was the preschool leader at VBS last year at our church. I have done this for the past 3 years and I really love it. The craziness of preschoolers is always fun. And, it keeps me laughing and, though it's exhausting by the end of the week, I always feel so good about what they've learned and how I was able to watch them enjoy their time at VBS. Last year I had this girl who was more than just a handful. She nearly drove me to insanity. I'm not joking. And, to top off the insanity, her mother decided to be a "helper" and I use that word generously, because she was absolutely NO help at all. Every night on my way home, I would talk to my dad on the cell about the insanely stupid things that would happen with this woman and her daughter. They weren't there on Tues that week and we were singing praises to God, let me tell ya! Her daughter would run up and hit the puppets as they were doing their skit while her mom sat their oblivious. She would run around the sanctuary or yell or walk on tables. I had to constantly chase her down or make her sit still and whatnot. Again, while her mom sat there and did nothing. No, I take that back, her mom would take the crafts THAT WERE FOR THE CHILDREN and do them herself and then give them to me like I was supposed to hang them on my frig or something. She was like 40. I should be giving her MY things to hang up. But, I digress (the bitterness is still fresh apparently). ;-) All week we had this competition between the boys and the girls to see who would bring in the most food to donate to the local food pantry. The final night they announced the results. Boys had like 15 lbs of food and the girls had 12 lbs. The mom turns to me and says, "Oh man! We lost by 4!". Um, what?! We lost by 4?!! After a week of dealing with her and her daughter's attempt to drive me into the nut house, that basically summed it up for me. I looked at her and smiled and said, "Yep. We lost by 4." Thus, an ADD FAIL!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Got it, I think. Add/fail. New term to add to my vocabulary. You're so funny, although I know the situation was a trial, at least you can laugh about it, sort of.
HA!! Sounds like she was a Mom Fail, too. So sorry you had to deal with her, and I hope she and her daughter go to a different VBS next time! :)
Funny you should mention that because our church's VBS was last week also. I was an elementary leader this year (I did preschoolers last year and needed something different). Well one of the girls in my group sounds a lot the girl you mentioned. She was cute as a button but really obnoxious, constantly running around, not listening, not obeying directions and beating on the group leader (me!) Her mom was a craft leader so she was around but not with our group all the time, fortunately. ARGH! I'm so glad VBS is over!!
Funny you should mention that because our church's VBS was last week also. I was an elementary leader this year (I did preschoolers last year and needed something different). Well one of the girls in my group sounds a lot the girl you mentioned. She was cute as a button but really obnoxious, constantly running around, not listening, not obeying directions and beating on the group leader (me!) Her mom was a craft leader so she was around but not with our group all the time, fortunately. ARGH! I'm so glad VBS is over!!
I nearly lost my mind last year with those 2. I was plotting their demise by day 3. And, that's only because they didn't show up on day 2. We didn't have VBS this year at our church - took a year off - and I'm soooo glad. We all needed it and the thought of having that woman come again is worse than death. I'm helping at a different VBS instead.
Amy, VBS is always fun, but so exhausting by the end, isn't it? Sorry you had a crazy child too. Makes it so much harder. But, thank your lucky stars she didn't have a crazy mother with her, because let me tell you from experience, the crazy mothers are a million times worse than the crazy child!!
Post a Comment