In the past 4 yrs that I've been doing this blog, I've taken moments to journal my thoughts about things in my life that have been hard to blog about. I blogged about my remembrances of 9-11. I've posted about the loss of my nephew Lincoln. I've even blogged about some of the darkest times dealing with my mom's health. I'll admit I don't post things like that often, because I try and use this space more as a light-hearted romp through our lives. But, there are times when our lives aren't so rosy or when something happens that hurts and needs to be voiced and this is my forum to do that. I'm sure many, if not all of you have heard about the school shooting in CT. I've been so deeply saddened by this, because it hits so close to home. I'm from a small town. I have children in elementary school. Friends' children, students, nieces and nephews all at the age of those precious children lost today. I was teaching at the preschool this morning when this happened, so the gravity and magnitude of the loss was hard to deny. There are those that are making this a political thing, bringing up issues of gun control, partisanship, etc... but to me this is not the time to quibble over such things. Now is the time to pray. Pray for these devastated families that lost beautiful, amazing, treasured children. Pray for the loss of 6 adults whose families are also grieving tonight. Pray for the healing of their community, so confused and hurt and reeling from the events of the day. One of the news articles I read said that some of the 1st graders huddled in a bathroom, hiding, were saying, "We just want to have Christmas. We just want Christmas." These precious children left behind were exposed to an evil so perverse that even we adults can't understand it, so how can they? My heart is hurting for them. We both hugged our kids a little closer tonight. Looked at them through different eyes. More than ever, thankful for the gift of them. Please join me, Pete, and this nation as we pray for healing and peace and strength for this little town of Newtown as they try and process their grief and loss. Especially for the parents who lost their beloved children and also the children exposed to the horrors of this day. They have such a long road of recovery and healing ahead of them. Here is the prayer I saw today and it what I will be praying for the days and weeks to come...

No comments:
Post a Comment