Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mommy and Me Class







Now that it's just Olivia and me, I wanted to find something fun for us to do together while the other two were in school. I signed her up for a Mommy and Me tumbling class at our local Gymnastics Academy. Today was her first day. To say she had fun would be an understatement!!!!! She absolutely LOVED it! It was soooo cute to watch her too. There are 6 kids in the class - 3 boys and 3 girls. :-) They started by having us sit around in a circle, each sitting by a star. Then we did stretches and sang a couple songs. After that they tried the balance beam. It's a little wider than the 4" beam that they normally use. But, it was still small. Maybe 5-6". And, it was low to the ground. I held Livie around her tummy and she put her arms out to keep her balanced. The first beam she had a carry a beanbag and toss it in the bucket when she got to the end. The next beam she had to carry one on her head (I held it on her head, because it wouldn't stay on to save her life!). Then last 2 beams they had pictures of apples laid out on them and she had to pick them up as she got to them and put them in a bucket at the end. She did a really good job and thought it was a lot of fun! Then she went over to the bars and rings and was swinging on those for a while. She had a good time doing that. Especially the rings. All the kids liked the rings. :-) Then her instructor took her over to a long trampoline. They had to walk up a big ramp thing to get to it and then they were supposed to jump all the way to the end. Livie ran the first few times, but then started getting the jumping thing down. I think this was her favorite, because she kept running back to do it over and over again. I tried holding her hand, but the word for the day was "me!". She wanted to do it all herself, so I just let her go to town. I took her and put her on the big trampoline, but she didn't like that one as much. They had a tumbling area with those foamy things like we had in gym class as kids. They had tunnels and rolling things and somersault mats and stuff. She ran back and forth and tried all of them several times. At the end, we went back to our circle and they played with scarves. Throwing them up and catching them. She laughed and thought it was funny when it landed on her face. :-) The last thing they did was get out a parachute and everyone held a handle and made it go up and down and then the kids who wanted to went underneath it while we made it go up and down. She got a sticker and a stamp on her hand as we left and she cried and cried. She didn't want to leave at all. The teacher told me that they have open gym every Wed and Thurs from 11-12, so I think I'm going to start taking her on Wed, so she can go 2 times a week instead of just the one time. Since she's still so little, she doesn't get the opportunity to do something just for her. Madie and Noah each have their own special something that they do - dance, t-ball, etc... So, it was really fun getting to let Livie have something special of her own for once. She just LOVED it!!!



* By the way, Michelle, the teacher complimented her on her red tights. ;-)

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Hey, *I* want to go to a tumbling class and wear red tights!