Today the kids got a package together to send to their Uncle Andy (Pete's brother) who is in Iraq right now. Livie and I picked up some snacks today while the other two were in school. Then when they got home, Madie and Noah made a picture for him and they all signed a card for him. They packed it up and put army stickers on the outside that they got at the scrapbook store. They were pretty cool stickers!! Then I took all three of them to the post office and they mailed the package to him. :-) Last time we sent one, Madie wanted to send him something really special. She went around the house looking for just the right thing. She wanted to send him a bunny she had, but then she thought the bunny would get scared in the war. She thought about it for a long time and finally ended up making him a picture instead. Each night they pray for their Uncle Andy and say they want him home safely. They've asked a lot of questions about the war. They have a hard time understanding it. I told them that grown-ups have a hard time understanding war too. So, I think getting to make pictures for him and knowing that they get to send him things that are yummy and fun is cool and make it better for them. They do a good job at making those packages special for him and always have ideas of what they want to mail him. Noah was in the store a few days ago and found a Wii pez dispenser thingy and knew that he HAD to put that in the package! The army stickers were another thing they knew they had to get. We always sit down and make a list of what we want to put in there. The packages they give you for flat rate stuff are small. They always have a list of like 20 things, so we have to trim it down a bit in order for things to fit.. ;-) But, hopefully in just a couple weeks, that package that they worked so hard on, will arrive in his hands and make his day a little better. :-) I mean Hostess coffee cakes have GOT to be better than army food, right?!! Heck, broccoli might be better than army food! Well.... maybe not.
3 comments:
Lori, when Alan was in the Army he brought home some of the MREs, and yes, brocolli is better than army food, at least better than MREs. But then, I like brocolli, so maybe you're correct. But won't the hostess cakes be kinda hard by the time he gets them? Just wondering.
On the subject of MREs, some of the things, I recall, were pretty good. Like they have a Reece's PB cup, but it isn't "Reece's" it just tastes like it. And the crackers are like sawdust. The beef stew wasn't too bad if you like Gerber's Toddler Beef Stew -- that's the consistency. Pray for the guys who have to eat the MREs.
I always found that the food on the chow line, though, on the few occasions I went through one, was very tasty, well prepared, and there was lots of it.
I really did like s&*#( on a shingle (that's creamed dried beef on toast) the way the army made it. So, who knows.
The reason the men lose weight is not because of the food, or lack of it, it's because of the 70 pound pack they have to carry on their back for miles and miles everyday.
Also, I loved being an Army wife. The perks were really great and I guess I should do a BLOG about them.
I've heard the stories of the MREs. All of them have been bad. :-) We sent the cakes to him before and he loved them so much! So, now we make sure to include them every time. Things seem to get to the soliders over there pretty quickly now. Not much more than a week, I've been told.
There's another guy whose cousin goes to our church and is a friend of mine. We've sent him packages as well. He sent us a letter letting us know how much he appreciated the goodies after a solid month of MREs. You almost feel like you want to send them a great big pot of spaghetti or something, just so they get a taste of home. 'Course I can't do that, so the Hostess and Pringles companies have to do it instead. ;-)
I would love to hear a blog about your life as an army wife. I think it would be very interesting!
Post a Comment