Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!


Well, today is our last day at home for a few days. We're headed to Indiana tomorrow after the kids get out of school. We're going to the Trolingers first. They always have a big family Thanksgiving meal, which is always yummy and lots of fun. Andy was supposed to make it back from Iraq in time to join us, but he's been delayed, so even if he makes it back to the states this week, he won't be able to get home to Warsaw until the first part of Dec. So, we'll miss him, but we'll get to see Pete's Uncle Ronnie and Aunt Nancy. They come up every Thanksgiving from KY and it's always nice to see them. Plus, of course, all the rest of the family as well. I'm even making a couple pies to take - FROM SCRATCH! I made a cherry cheesecake today. That was Pete's one request. Looks ok, so I'm hoping it tastes good too. Tomorrow I'm making an apple pie. Never made one in my life, let alone one from scratch - and by scratch I mean, I'm cutting up apples and all that. Not making the pie crust, when Pillsbury makes such a good one! I'll let you all know if they end up being successful or if I end up hitting the local Kroger when we get to town to swap my pies for ones from the bakery. ;-)
We'll go up to my parents maybe Fri night and head home on Sat. Em and I plan on doing some shopping early on Fri morning to catch all those good sales and we're going down to Royal Center to celebrate our dear friends Beverly and Dudley's 50th wedding anniversary on Sat. I'm really looking forward to seeing them again, since our visit was so short during Em and Jeff's wedding. It'll be a quick trip to IN, but a super, jam-packed weekend. I'll tell you all about it once we get back. So, if I don't chat with you all before Sunday, I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving, whether you're home by yourselves or surrounded by family. Or, if you Suzy, are still stuck in the hospital keeping those sweet babies in place. Hopefully the cafeteria will serve up something yummy! :-) I hope it's a great day for everyone. Safe travels and God Bless!

5 comments:

Judi Hahn said...

Making an apple pie is simple, especially since you're using Pillsbury's fine crust. You might want to roll out the lower crust a little -- it cooks better and you really need more on the bottom than the top.

Filling should be 6-10 apples peeled, and sliced. No pits, please. Then mix in a couple of TBLSPNS of flour, 1/4 c of sugar if you use Delicious applies, 1/2-1 cup of sugar if you use Granny smith apples, throw in some cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix all this together and put into the lower crust. before you put on the top crust, dot with a little bit of butter. Top the crust, and put is on a cookie sheet -- so it doesn't boil over onto your oven. This is a good pie. Not too sweet. If you want it sweet like canned apples, up the sugar in each. Enjoy. I'm making two pies tomorrow. Apple and pumpkin. And today I feel great, thank you very much!!!!!

Amy said...

Have a great Thanksgiving Lori and have fun!!!

It occurs to me that I may not have given you the link to my blog?? Did I ever? It's called My life with Four Children and you can get to it off both of mom (Judi)'s blogs. Did I ever mention it to you? If not, I'm sorry!!!

Lori said...

Well, I made the pie.....twice. First one was a dismal failure. I'm making a dutch apple, because I thought it might be easier. I think the recipe I used was printed wrong, because the streusal part on top was a soggy mess! But, I went with it. Yeah, um, the butter melted so much, the insides were like soup. Doh! So, one to project #2. I looked online for another recipe and found one that made more sense. It turned out much better. So, we'll see if it tastes as good as it looks. The cheesecake turned out really nicely, but I've made those before. Not totally from scratch, but at least I had a general idea. The apple pie though, since I had never made one, was interesting. I had no idea what kind of apples to buy or how thin to slice them. So, I'm hoping I did ok on both counts.

SOOOOO glad to hear you're feeling good! That's terrific! Pumpkin pie is my favorite and I HAVE made those before, but Pete's mom is making that, so I opted for the other two.

Amy - I got your blog addy on my "blog list" file thingy at the top of my screen. I got it off Judi's blog. I do believe I now have a dozen blogs that I check out daily. I love them! Wish all my friends and family had them!

Suzy said...

Wow, a shout-out on Lori's blog ... I've finally made it!! :) Yes, I will still be here tomorrow, cooking babies instead of turkey, haha. Ted is going to spend the day with me except for dinner with his parents. He has instructions to bring me lots of leftovers. :) Hope you guys have a great trip to IN!!!!!

Lori said...

Anyone carrying quads deserves a Thanksgiving shout-out! Hope you got a chance to enjoy the leftovers he was bringing. When I was pregnant with Olivia, I was diabetic, so I wasn't able to fully enjoy Thanksgiving, so once she was born (and I had some free time on my hands), I made a whole Thanksgiving meal, just so I could enjoy it to the fullest! I don't know if you'll EVER find time with 4 babies on your hands to get to do something like that, but it's a lot of fun if you do. :-) Hope you had a good one!