Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Pergo Poling





We have lived in our house for 6 1/2 yrs now and it was brand new when we bought it. We loved it and still do. We've practically outgrown since we've added 3 new members of the family (that is, if you include our cat) since we moved in, but it's still our home and it fits us well. The major problem at this point - and honestly, it's been a problem for most of our 6+ yrs here - is the linoleum flooring. It's peeling up in places and is hard to keep clean, because it's white. PLUS, it's such a big area to try and mop. Who has time for that anyway? Well, a couple days ago, before Pete left again for Toronto, I heard a big thud and Pete go, "oh!". He had tripped over a bit of the peeling lino and pulled it up even more and broke off a piece. Great. So, now we have a grungy, peeling, TORN-UP floor now. Well, we've wanted wood flooring for a while and Pete said it's about time we finally broke down and got some. So, we'll be doing some shopping hopefully before the new year comes around. Question is... and I pose this to you all ... what color should we look for? I've posted 4 options that we took samples of a while back. Ranging from very light bamboo to a darker walnut color. I'd actually like an even darker color than that, I think. I'm more of a dark wood person, but looking at the rest of my house, I'm not sure what will work best. I have med/dark cabinetry in the kitchen like you see in the picture above, but the trim throughout the house, namely the foyer, is light. Then I have the dark ebony wood in the living room. This flooring will connect all of those rooms, since it's an open floor plan. So, I'm going to add a poll here to this blog, so I can see where the votes lie. Don't want to spend over $1000 on a floor that ends up sucking. So, trusty friends, place your votes and let me know what you think is the best option for my house. :-) The choices are as follows...


Choice A



Choice B




Choice C





Choice D



3 comments:

Judi Hahn said...

I want to wood my kitchen-dining area, too. And I have the same problem, what color do I want. I would probably go for a light oak for me, but in your samples shown against your cabinetry, I think option B is best. The dark wood really clashes with the cherry wood of your cabinets. If you can get a wood that matches the cabinets or is a lighter or darker version of that it would be fine, but with the red tones in your cabinets, the dark wood sample you showed clashes in my eye, at least. But then, we've discussed my eyes before :)

Judi Hahn said...

Also, Cyndi has the same color cabinets you have, and she has a light woods (light oak or pine) throughout her first floor (open floor plan). It looks very nice and she loves it. Only problem, if you ever have an overflow from your dishwasher you will have a hefty repair/replacement cost -- Cyndi's been there, done that.

Lori said...

I think the medium one might be best too, because it'll tie in the light trim I have running through the house and the darker cabinets. I'm just more of a darker wood person, so it's hard to know what it's all going to look like with just small little samples like that. I didn't know Cyndi had the overflow problem. Yuck! That would be a nightmare.....and, something I could see totally happening to us!