Sunday, January 25, 2009

'Day of Rest' Rememberances


While wrapped up in my love for Twilight, I completely forgot to do "Flashback Friday"!! So, I thought I'd catch back up and do it today. Though, I couldn't quite figure out what sounded good with "Sunday". So, I thought maybe Day of Rest would work. ;-) Kinda goofy, but my mind still isn't in true working order yet, so that's all you can get. Anyway, I decided to post a picture out of Madie's scrapbook about her grandparents. When the kids are in kindergarten, they have a special week that's all about them. Typically the week of their birthday. They make a poster about themselves. They have a guest come to their class. And, they can bring their favorite toy or something that's special to them too. When Madie was in kindergarten, I decided she and I would make a scrapbook all about her to take to class as her special toy. We went and picked out the paper together and got stickers to decorate it with. It was a really fun project for us. Noah and I will do it just in a couple weeks for his birthday. So fun! Anyway, we did a page about her grandparents. My kids have terrific grandparents. They love them completely and are always asking when they'll come visit us or when we'll go out there. Nana and Papa Trolinger and Nana and Papa Drexler, as they're known, are special in their unique ways. First of all, Nana and Papa Trolinger have cats. Where as Nana and Papa Drexler have a super-old, humpbacked dog. Nana and Papa Trolinger have a play room with tons of legos! They LOVE that! They play with them everytime they there and spend enormous amounts of time making inventions. Nana and Papa Drexler have beanies and star wars figures. Papa D's office is called "The Teddy Bear Workshop", because it's so full of bears and beanies that he selflessly allows them to carry around and throw down the stairs (actually not sure if he knows they throw them down the stairs....but I digress). Nana and Papa Trolinger have a fun backyard with an inflatable pool that they can splash around in every summer. I swear, they would spend hours in there if we let them. Sooo exciting for them when that's up. Plus, their backyard is fenced in and great for collecting rocks and looking for fossils, which Nana T takes them out to look for every time we're there and they're not covered in snow. ;-) Nana and Papa Drexler have a fenced in patio area, so they can ride the push cars and play in the sandbox. And, Nana has a great ramp for her wheelchair that they use to race down. Oh, and I can't forget to mention Nana D's lift chairs, which are called "rocket chairs", since the kids get in them and push them to the highest they can go. Great fun! So, you see, each of their grandparents have special and wonderful things that they can do and play with. But, the one thing they have in common is their love for my kids. They love them completely and even though they may be used to living quiet, peaceful lives, they don't hesitate to enjoy us when we come barging in their homes with loud, crazy kids that run around and mess up their house and their towels and their beds, not to mention, eat all their food. Yes, I'm sure they nap for days after we leave, but they love to share things with the kids and hear all about their new adventures and accomplishments and give them hugs whenever they're needed. I'm so thankful that my kids don't just see them once a year like we did growing up, but are able to see them many times and build on that amazing relationship that occurs between grandparents and their grandchildren. So, Nana and Papa Trolinger AND Drexler, thank you for loving our kids so endlessly and for doing all the little things you do to make them feel special. It means the world to them and makes us as parents so blessed to know we have such a great extended family!

No comments: