
It seems this country has Obama Fever! It's like he's more of a rock star than a president it seems. Now, I haven't been around for many inaugurations in my life. At least, not many since I've been of voting age. The first presidental election I was a part of was in '96 and have voted each year since, but I can't remember a time when there was so much excitement and anticipation AND MEMORABILIA! surrounding a president. I think that's the part that's blowing me away. I've seen more commercials and internet ads about buying the next big "obama thing" than I even saw of campaign ads! Scarfs, water bottles, t-shirts, etc..... I've even seen boxer briefs with his picture on them. Who would buy that? "C'mon baby, I've got Obama on my thigh..." What? The picture above is a belt buckle made in his honor. I mean, what is going on?! I'm guessing if I look further, I might even find Obama tp and maybe even Obama blow-up dolls. Crazy! I don't remember there ever being Reagan boxers or belt buckles of Bill Clinton - though there might have been Clinton underwear at some point. ;-) I've never seen the kind of hoopla surrounding an election in my life! I'm glad to know that our country is excited. I really am. I love seeing that so many people have gathered together in support of our govt. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that happen in a LONG time. But, millions of people have put him on this pedistal as our "savior" and that every wrong that has been committed will be righted again with this man. I will admit, it makes me nervous. Now, I'm not saying all this because I'm a republican. I'm not saying this as a christian. I'm saying this as an american. I want more than anything to see President Obama succeed. I'm just afraid we've set him up so high, that we'll miss the real intentions. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I pray for him. I pray for his cabinet and for the whole of his administration. I just hope that he's able to somehow live up to the ideals that so many have set before him. Now, I joke about all the crazy gadgets they've come up with. I understand that a lot of the excitement goes along with him being the first african-american president. That alone is a truly historic and momentous thing to celebrate. I too was moved when watching him in the park in Chicago accept the presidency of the US. And, today, when watching him get sworn in, I understood why this was a special moment. The tears in people's eyes as they saw someone the same color as they are, swearing into the highest office in the land was amazing. But, what I'm saying is, behind the "Obama Mama" shirts, behind the race issues, is a man who - more than anything - needs our prayers as he leads our nation. So, I hope as the weeks go on, that E! News and Entertainment Tonight will stop running the "Look who's going to the Inauguration...it's BONO!" stuff and will let us as Americans look to our president for guidance and leadership and not to see what new celebrity will be visiting him. Let's let the "celebrity factor" of Barrack Obama die down and let's let him lead the nation, keeping a watchful eye on his decisions, so that we know he's doing the job the way we want him to. OK, that's all I'll say.... I'm off my soapbox now. ;-)
2 comments:
Reading your blog inspired me to search for Obama memorabilia. So I Googled it and found just scads of stuff. I found the typical posters, hats, keychains, tshirts and things like that. But oddly enough I also found tennis shoes, skateboards and yes, even toilet paper with our President's picture on it. Now honestly who would want to wipe themselves with our new President? It's just wrong somehow!
You seriously found the tp?! Oh my gosh! They really have crossed into "crazy" now. I just don't get it. This has taken on a whole new aspect I've never seen before. It's actually a little frightening.
Post a Comment