Sunday, January 11, 2009

Winter Fun

Yesterday we got a few inches of snow with another inch or so today. We took the kids out and played for about an hour and a half or so. It was a lot of fun! Typically if Pete takes them out, then I stay inside and get the hot cocoa ready, but we all decided to go out. Pete pulled Livie in her little sled. She loved it!!!



Noah got a snow painting set for Christmas, so he was excited to break those puppies out! They were really fun! Though the red paint looked like we had killed the skunk and he had bled all over the yard. I think that actually made Pete feel better. ;-) Noah decided to write his name. He did a WAY better job than I did trying to write mine. Guess they're best when used by kids.



Livie made a few snow angels. She had trouble getting up though, so after she'd make them, she'd call for us to come over and help her. Pete would just lift her completely up by her coat. It was really funny!

Madie and I posed for a quick pic together. She was so busy sledding, she didn't stop for many.



Along with the snow paint, Noah got a few snow molds. Unfortunately the snow is so powdery that it didn't make very good snow blocks. He was a bit disappointed that he wasn't able to build his fort. But, it wasn't for lack of trying! He got his snow shovel out and was scooping up the snow and pouring it in the mold to try and make the blocks.



Here's Pete pulling Livie on the sled. He actually pulled each of the kids on it like 3 or 4 times each. He was worn out! I took over and gave them each a turn, but he's WAY better at it than I. My legs aren't as long, so I can't run fast like he can.




Then they decided to have a snow feast and ate all the snow on top of the sandbox. I'm always telling them NOT to eat the snow, because they always seem to find snow that's been walked over 100 times and dirty and gross. This was clean, fresh snow, so they ate it up!!






Even Pete got in on the action. ;-)








After that they played for a while longer and our neighbor Rod came out to start his grill. Pete talked to him and he offered to let us use his hill to sled down. Oh my gosh was that fun for them!!!!! They kept trying to slide down our poor excuse for a hill, which is basically just a bump at the edge of our yard. They have a full-fledged hill in their yard. So, I stood at the bottom and Pete stood at the top and we helped them slide on down. I was the tree blocker. That way no one actually went straight into a tree. I did that once as a kid and nearly broke my leg! We had a couple close calls, but no one hit it. It was really fun for them, because it's really the first time they've ever truly been sledding. They did that for a long time. I told Rod how much we appreciated him letting us do that. His nice yard will freshly fallen snow is now covered in boots prints and sledding trails. :-)

No comments: