
Noah came up to me after school and handed me a small, folded up piece of paper. On it, it said, "I hate broccoli". A simple phrase. But immediately I knew of the significance of that statement. I asked quickly, "Who gave this to you?", looking around for anyone who was responsible for the missive. "My sub," he said. I asked him what her name was, but he wouldn't tell me. It's apparent she wanted her identity kept quiet for fear of retribution by the school officials. This one, brave, anonymous woman took a chance and gave my son a note to show us her solidarity. She didn't need to elaborate. She didn't need to embellish. She just stated a simple, clean fact. A fact that she knew we'd recognize as a sign of growing support within our school. An insider that will quietly be working to further our cause to the youngest of our own. I told Noah to keep this quiet. After the incident in the school yard a few weeks ago, I felt it best to keep him out of it as much as possible. We don't need to give the insurgent broccoli stems any more reason to search him out. He's been hurt enough. Yet, his dedication to this cause is quite humbling. He, so young, yet so bold, won't be swayed to do anything other than support us, whatever the cost. It makes me more than proud to say he's my son. Sadly, my girls might be lost right now, but hope is on the horizon. I believe that a shift has occurred. A step has been taken to bring our children back from the brink and get them to finally cut the stems at their knees and stomp on them. Crush them in their hands and laugh at their destruction. I see it in my mind as clearly as if it were happening now. The overwhelming joy of the children of our world as they seek out and find the weeds and beat them to death with their shovels. Could anything sound sweeter? The collective screams and cries of the broccoli as it's being murdered from country to country, continent to continent. It could one of the new soothing sound on my sleep machine. Who needs ocean waves or the chirping of crickets when you have the death cries of a dying vegetable? So, today's note, though brief, was a sign of things to come. This wonderful, quiet leader has taken up the cause and will begin to bring down our enemy. So, thank you my unspoken friend. May your words fill the hearts and minds of our children until all have been reached with your wisdom and truth.
1 comment:
Had a nothing-to-do-today day, huh? Had to vent on a poor, green, veggie that is no harm, yeah, I say, is only good, to people. Someday, when you're old like me, you're gonna wish you had nicer things to say about broccoli.
Post a Comment