Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 4 - The School Visit

Early on the 3rd day we got to take a tour of dad's elementary school, which happens to be right across the street from my grandpa's house.




We used to spend our vacations playing wiffle ball on this paved playground. :-)





I took a tour with my dad when I was a little kid - probably about Madie's age - and the only thing I remember was this gym. It's the smallest gym I've ever seen!! It is now used as the gym/cafeteria/playroom.





Micah took my camera into the boys bathroom, because dad told us it hadn't changed a bit since he was in school. Still had this giant sink that the boys loved!





When dad went to this school it was a school for K-8th (I believe). Now it's for K-3rd. I can't imagine this school holding all those grades when he was little! It's a really tiny school. Just 2 floors of classrooms.



This was the first floor.



Many of the rooms had changed, but this one still had the coat rack behind the classroom like it was when dad was a kid. Dad spent many a time here, after getting in trouble by his teacher. He said he used to spit on the wall to see which would make it the farthest down the wall. Nice, huh? ;-)



This is looking across the street at my grandpa's house. It's behind that big tree behind the white SUV.

2 comments:

Judi Hahn said...

My goodness, it hasn't changed. I wish I could have gone with you. There were 9 grades at the school, K-8, when I went there as well. I guess there are nine classrooms. Let's count them. Three each on the Third Ave side (1st and 2nd floor) and three each on the front side (1st and 2nd floor), that would make 12 classrooms, I think. Today, one is probably a library. There were three 8th grades when I went to school, a first. And there were two kindergartens (full day) when I went to the school. Does that now add up to 12 rooms?

The rooms seemed really big to me and we had those desks with the ink hole (no ink, though), and the seat attached in the front that went up and down. The desks were screwed into the floor. When they did away with those desks, when I was in around 4th grade and went to the kind you can move around, dad bought one and we had it on the back porch to play school with.

The cloak room (coat room) is exactly the same as it was when I was in school as well. What a great pictorial. Thanks for getting all those pictures. Can I put them on "Facebook -- I grew up in good ole Runnemede, NJ"?

Lori said...

Absolutely! Most of the classrooms no longer had the cloak room. They had turned them into bathrooms/coat rooms. That room was the only one really that had it left in tact. So hard to believe that little school had K-8th in it!! And, the classrooms didn't seem to be in order either. He showed us his 3rd grade classroom and across the hall was Carl's 1st grade classroom. Kind of a weird set up. He also said that during basketball games in that tiny gym, you actually had cheerleaders! There's only 3" of space from the court to the wall! Cracked me up. :-)