What you are seeing is not a rehash of last month's drama. You did not log on to find the October entries up on your screen. No, this is a new picture - taken this afternoon. Yes, folks, we have another #$@@# skunk! Pete called me from the other room with an accusatory tone saying, "Um, did you not see this hole out here?!". I came out and questioned what the heck he was talking about. He just got back from Toronto last night after being gone all week and couldn't believe that I hadn't looked outside to see that not one but TWO new holes have been dug in the exact same place as last time. I have looked outside, but never noticed it I guess, so I'm not sure when the skunk arrived. Especially considering the thing dug AROUND the pavers that were already there! Crafty! Now, to say that Pete is angry is probably the understatement of the year. We just spent $200 getting rid of a skunk last month and now, here we are, with the same problem. He's not mad at me, mind you. He's mad at the fact that the skunks seem to enjoy making their home under our patio. And, this one is worse than the last one. Not only has he dug under our patio and made yet another mess of our garden, he has been digging in our yard, pulling grass out to make his bed under there! Pete took a box of mothballs, threw them down there, put the dirt back in and covered up the holes with 5-6 paver stones on each side. I said, "Well, that should keep him out and solve the problem". He looked at me and said, "You think this is going to stop them from coming?! They're not going to give up their cavernous RESORT down there!". hahaha I kept my smile hidden for fear of upsetting him more, but once he went around the house, I had to laugh. I feel so bad for him getting hit with this on top of some of the other things we've been dealing with this weekend. It's not been a good time since he's been home, but Pete doesn't ever get mad, so when he does, I just have to smile. He makes such funny comments. :-) If anyone has any suggestions on how to keep the skunks from coming into our yard and digging, let me know. If this keeps going on, I can totally see Pete putting on his camo gear, sitting outside in the 20 degree weather all night with a rifle in his hand - waiting for anything that even LOOKS like a skunk, so he can get his frustrations out and blow them away. Could be an innocent black and white cat. Maybe even a squirrel who looks a little too frisky. I don't think he'd care at this point. He wants all of nature's finest to steer clear of our property or he will make them suffer!! ;-) I'd take another poll of what you think we have living under there, but I don't think we can even pretend we don't know. It's a skunk. Plain and simple. And, it's come to exact revenge on us killing two of its friends and I'm guessing the more we kill them, the more will come. Isn't that a line from "Field of Dreams"? If you kill them, they will come... Maybe we need to build a ball field in our yard, so the curse will be lifted.
2 comments:
I just had a "Caddy Shack" visual.... Poor Pete! I hope you get it resolved!
Well, the stupid thing tried to dig back in again, but it either got scared off by the moth balls or just got stopped because the pavers were in its way. Either way, it better stay away or it's going to be a bad day for Mr. Skunk. ;-)
Post a Comment