Monday, January 12, 2009

I Am Short


I was at church yesterday getting inducted as a new elder. And I tell you this only because it reminded me of how short I really am. See I was standing up there with 4 other people. The person that stood next to me is super tall. I don't know exactly how tall she is, because when you're always looking up at people, you don't really have a way to gauge how tall they are. But, she's tall. Then, when the rest of the elders came up to pray with us, yet another very tall person stood beside me. I felt a little like I did in that picture above. That was taken at a friend's wedding a month after we got married, so nearly 10 yrs ago. Both Chad and Tracey are 6' tall and Pete's 6'2", so I looked a bit like an 8 yr old with boobies. Now for those of you who don't know, I'm 4'10". Yes, I am a 4'-er. And, I've always embraced me 4'edness. It's something that makes me unique and there have been many benefits to being short. First, I always got to be in the front for everything. You know "short people up front", well that meant if we were doing an art project at school or singing in the choir, I was right there by the teacher. Front and center, getting to see everything up close. When I graduated from high school, our high school was small enough that they didn't seat us alphabetically, they sat us in order of height. So, I was right in the front row, first in line after the class officers. Sweet!!! Plus, I already get an "in" with little kids. I'm short like they are and they seem to respond well to that. There are lots of things to be happy about when being short. Ya know, I don't really know what my true shortness is though. When you live it, you just get used to looking up at things. Very rarely I am reminded of it. Like when I see the picture above. Or when I say to Pete "put this candy up high so I can't reach it or I'll eat it all" and he puts it on the second shelf in the cupboard. Ya know, things like that. There are a couple things that frustrate me about being short. I HATE when a sock gets stuck at the bottom of the washing machine. I have to prop myself up and practically throw myself into the washer to reach it. I also hate that dancing with my husband is nearly impossible. I could pull off standing on a stool or a chair to dance with someone when I was in high school (my prom date was 6'4"), but I was silly and it was ok. Seeing a 34 yr old on a chair just isn't as cute anymore. But, those are really the only things that sometimes bother me. Oh, and trying to find shoes that are a size 3 and don't have velcro and Little Mermaid on the side is hard to do! But, I just go up a few sizes and get something cuter. :-) I guess the reason that my shortness has never bothered me is because it's part of me. It's who I am. I've been called every short name out there and been used as an arm rest more times than I can count, but all my life people have known that of me and it's fun! I fully enjoy and embrace it! I remember someone actually asking me once if I was considered a midget. Not just calling me that to be funny, but seriously curious if I was one. I said, "Um, no, I have like 2" on a little person thank you!". ;-) But, yesterday, as I was standing there between super tall people like I was at that wedding all those years ago, I wonder what it looks like to other people when they see me. I wonder if I really AM extremely short or just like average. I guess I probably already know the answer to that one. And, I know that the only changes coming in regards to my height at this point will be shrinking. So, maybe in 30 yrs or so, that guy can find me again, ask me about being a little person and I'll be able to answer, "Yes. Yes, I am".

2 comments:

Judi Hahn said...

Yeah, and why is it that Alan always reaches for the glasses on the second shelf, instead of the bottom shelf, or the mugs on the second shelf, instead of the bottom shelf? I'm 5'2" and I can't reach the second shelf without really stretching and getting on my tippy toes, and since climbing on those climby things isn't in my realm of possibility any more, I've arranged my shelves so that the things I really need are on the first shelf.

I can relate to your problem, oh so well. And yes, being short does mean that you're up front, except in airports. There you really need a walker or a cane or a wheelchair and you're whizzed right through.

I'm so glad I don't have to hang clothes outside like my mom did. I'll have to BLOG washday sometime.

Finally, I prayed that God would stretch my arms by 2 inches, not hard for Him to do, I figured, but I guess he didn't think I needed two more inches on my arms. Now, with the arthritis in the shoulder, even reaching to the first shelf is getting to be a nuisance.

Life is so much fun, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

You, Judi, are my future. I can only imagine in what, 30 yrs?, I'll be like. I told Pete I married him because he was tall and could reach things (and because he would kill bugs). ;-) hehe So, I'm thankful that I have a guy that can take care of the things I can't. :-) Because sometimes trying to get that stupid bowl off the second shelf, when it's been pushed back too far is enough to drive me to insanity. I'm still nimble enough that I just climb up on the counter to reach it, but I know that's not going to last forever! Again, thank goodness I married a tall man!! :-)