Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Snow....snow....and MORE SNOW!

Pete's gone this week to Toronto, so I've been the one to take over his job of shoveling the snow. Now I know why this is HIS job and not mine. It's because it absolutely and completely sucks!! Especially when you're trying to go super fast in time to get the kids off to school. Granted, today was a snow day, so thankfully I wasn't in a rush to get it done. Instead today I had to deal with the fact that it's in the negatives and stinkin' cold. We've gotten about 9-10" of snow since Pete left. I swear that's more snow collectively than we've gotten since we moved here! I told Pete last night I expect to receive a snowblower for Mother's Day now. ;-) It's not really all THAT bad. Livie and Noah came out and helped a bit while I was snowing today. Though, it was way more fun for them to jump into the snow banks, thus knocking the snow DOWN and back into the drivewayI had just shoveled, but I can't blame them. They're becoming pretty high mountains around the driveway! Here are a couple pics so you can see how much we've gotten...




It's hard to gauge the depth, I know, but you can kind of see what we've gotten if you look at their playset. The step there in orange shows how much snow we've gotten this week. And, the sides of the driveway are past my waist. Anyway, to make the snow not seem quite so annoying (for me at least), we decided to make snow ice cream. A friend of mine from church, Kim, gave me the ingredients the other day and we decided to try it. First I scooped up a bunch of snow from our backyard step.




Then we added sugar, milk, and vanilla and mixed it up. Since there's no real measurement to it, we just added it a bit slowly to make sure we had the right amount.




Then we sat down and tried it to see if we did a good job.



It was a success!!!! In fact, it was delicious!!!! Tasted like real homemade ice cream. Yum!!! Can't wait for Pete to get back and try it. We were just talking last night about how yummy it would be to make homemade ice cream and buy one of those makers to do it. Well heck! Now, we know how to do without some fancy mixer. I want to figure out a way to make chocolate. I think that would be fabulous! Oooh.. Or maybe add some mint flavoring with choc chips!! Now, that WOULD be fabulous!!!! We might have another batch after supper. ;-)




So, maybe all this snow isn't quite THAT bad. Yes, the shoveling still and will always suck, but sledding, making snow angels, climbing the snow mountains, and - most of all - making snow ice cream makes it all worth it! :-) ......I still want a snow blower though.

2 comments:

Judi Hahn said...

Am I seeing snow out my window? Yes, I am. Oops, it stopped already. Well, that was fun. Sixteen flakes and we were supposed to get 3 inches. If I added up all the inches they've predicted for us this year and we didn't get, we'd have more snow than you do. If it's going to be this cold, I want snow along with it. My snowmen are almost crying for some new snow!

The Schutz Family said...

Yes, you need a snow blower!!! I want try the ice cream thing! How fun! Yummy!