This is our original playroom (sorry all the pictures are fuzzy - batteries were running low and our camera sucks). We made this space for the kids a couple years ago. Please excuse the mess. The kids were having a lot of fun and, let's face it, playrooms are meant to be a disaster, right? ;-) This space hasn't changed much.
This is the "After" shot. Tried to upload it to be below the "Before" shot, but I've given up, so here it is. We carpeted the area from the steps all the way down to the end of the room almost. Adding a recliner and making that area a family room section.
This was the "Before" shot. We had the couches down there, the tv/ent center, but there was no carpet and tons of toys that had no place to go! Not to mention the dress-up clothes rack on the right side there, blocking most of the walkway into that space. This picture was taken half-way through the clean-up. It was twice as bad as this, if you can imagine!
This is the living area now. Carpeted, free of toys and now we can watch tv or play games while we're downstairs and the kids don't have to sit on concrete. :-) It's great!
This is the "Before" shot of the area behind the couch area. There's a space back in the back there that has our ping-pong table, but it was basically just concrete and the kids would ride their bikes on it. And, no, it's not Christmas. Just our tree with no place to go.
Now, looking from the ping-pong table to the opposite wall, we've created a whole other play area - mostly for the girls. They have all their Am. Girl things there, dress-up clothes rack, barbies, Groovy Girls, etc... And, we left just enough room around this play area for them to still ride their bikes around. It's like a little road going from the ping-pong table, around that, to the opposite side by the bins. And, yes, this was taken at about 1pm and they are still in their pjs. I've been busy getting church stuff done all morning and they were content to stay in their pjs, so that's what we're doing. ;-)
This is the wall of bins of stuff we sorted and collected and put away. I believe there are over 40 bins of stuff. I got rid of probably 20 bins. So, this is our "finished" basement. The kids love it! We love it! And, after Em and Jeff come and take the rest of our baby stuff, we will be completely clutter free! Hooray!!! :-)
4 comments:
It DOES look so much better, and I'm sure it's more functional, but...have you thought about calling Candice Olsen (Divine Design on HGTV)? She could really fix up your basement for you.
I remember when my mom did the same thing. Apparently, your dad didn't like having a "family room" in the basement, but I loved it. Have to admit it was a big damp down there, and maybe his allergies bothered him, but I thought mom fixed it up nice and cozy for us, and we could skate down there. Bikes weren't allowed.
The TV was down there. That was in the days when a family had only one TV. Can you believe that Alan and I have THREE TVs all hooked up to cable? Times change.
I would LOVE for Candace Olsen to fix up my basement! That would be incredible! But, don't you need money to give her for that? We too have 3 tvs - only ours are all hooked up to satellites, with 2 DVRs and everything. Our kids don't remember what it was like to NOT pause live television. So, yes, to answer your question, times have definitely changed!
I'm personal friends with her and I'll make sure she contacts you and Pete to set up a time when she can come down with her crew of 12 and examine your basement and give you an estimate of what your share of the rehab would be. I'm sure it won't be more than 40 or 50 thousand dollars -- so affordable, you know!
just kidding. I don't know who pays for those rehabs. I know some of the HGTV rehabs are free, some cost money. I'm guessing my friend, Candace charges for her rooms.
J
I think she does too. Darn it!! If you can't get her, do you have any rich friends who would like to finance our basement? Surely you know a couple that would do that, right? :-)
Post a Comment