Sunday, September 28, 2008

Snake Sighting




We had a visitor today. Pete was outside mowing and apparentely scared him up onto our patio. He came and knocked on the door to show us. The kids all thought the snake was cool and were pretty excited to see him. Noah grabbed his two-headed snake, so he could see the snake as well. Pete kept poking it and making it snap at him. Livie didn't like that. She wanted to play with him and didn't like the idea that he might bite. So, Pete took each of them out, one at a time, to sit on a chair and get a closer look. That way they could see him, but not get bitten by him. Livie liked that. They all did. We have little garter snakes around here from time to time. I think it's the first time we've had one actually come up on our patio before though. Most of the time we'll see them slithering through our yard when we're outside playing. That usually freaks the kids out though, so it was nice that he was sitting there quietly for them to look at instead. :-)

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm glad your kids are so brave about snakes. I just don't like them at all. They just creep me out!!! I'm glad we don't have them around our house.

Lori said...

Snakes don't bother me, but bugs do. Wish I could find a place where bugs didn't exist. Why don't I take all the snakes and you can take all the bugs? That would be a pretty sweet deal! :-)

Judi Hahn said...

Doesn't look like a garter snake to me, they're green. Are you sure it wasn't some other kind of snake. To me all snakes are BAD, even the little green ones. We had them in Cincinnati, too, and they took up residence under our step from the house to the sidewalk. I didn't like that either. Snakes are as bad as spiders as far as I'm concerned, maybe worse, because you can step on spiders and kill them, snakes require a bit more effort.

Lori said...

I think it was a garter snake, but I'm not really up on my snake knowledge. It didn't have a rattle or anything. But, it did try and bite Pete several times. But, of course, Pete was poking it with a grill brush. ;-) I've seen snakes like that before and just assumed that's what it was. Snakes don't bother me. Spiders are much, much worse in my opinion. Though I wouldn't want a snake surprising me. I would probably freak out a little if that happened.